* reviving SIGAda web ada mailing list
@ 2001-03-01 22:29 Terry Westley
From: Terry Westley @ 2001-03-01 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I posted this to the Team Ada mailing list, so you may have
seen this already...

It appears (to me) that there is enough interest to revive the
SIGAda Web Ada group, although perhaps with a slightly modified
or expanded purpose.

It's been suggested by several that the ACM SIGAda mailing list
is a good basis for a discussion group perhaps later to become a
chartered working group.  I think this is a good compromise
because some (like me) don't read comp.lang.ada regularly and
others don't like commercial groups such as Yahoo Groups.

I propose that the Web Ada mailing list be revived to discuss
the purpose of such a group and whether there is enough
interest to begin a working group.

Currie Colket has suggested that ACM would prefer a name of
the form SIGAda-Web rather than web_ada and I'm happy to go
along with that.  However, the scope of this group may be
broader than just the Web.  So, the purpose of my email here
is to solicit the opinion of those who would be interested
in joining such a group to suggest names for the mailing list,
and perhaps ultimately a working group.

Ideas?
   1) SIGAda-Web
   2) SIGAda-Internet
   3) SIGAda-Net
   4) SIGAda-other?

Thanks for your input.

--Terry Westley, twestley@acm.org

* Re: reviving SIGAda web ada mailing list
@ 2001-03-01 22:43 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-03-01 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <33An6.2683$434.346840@news.uswest.net>, Terry Westley says...

>It appears (to me) that there is enough interest to revive the
>SIGAda Web Ada group, although perhaps with a slightly modified
>or expanded purpose.

Would one have to be an ACM member to participate?

---

* RE: reviving SIGAda web ada mailing list
@ 2001-03-02  0:44 ` Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
From: Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. @ 2001-03-02  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

From: Bob Leif
To: Terry Westley et al.

SIGAda-Web would be fine. I hope we have a large subgroup on Ada-XML. I
believe that it would be very useful to have a workshop on this subject.
Could we have an organizing meeting at SIGAda 2001. I might note that XML
web technology has a very high probability of being the basis of the next
standard GUI for the client. This is our best chance to commercialize Ada.
I would like to have a specific discussion leading to the design and
implementation of two new packages:
Ada.XML_Io.
Interfaces.XML

@ 2001-03-02 15:15   ` Terry Westley
From: Terry Westley @ 2001-03-02 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message
> In article <33An6.2683$434.346840@news.uswest.net>, Terry Westley says...
> >
> >It appears (to me) that there is enough interest to revive the
> >SIGAda Web Ada group, although perhaps with a slightly modified
> >or expanded purpose.
>
> Would one have to be an ACM member to participate?
>
> ---
> T.E.D.    homepage   - http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/TED.html
>           home email - mailto:dennison@telepath.com

My understanding is that the one "owns" the list from the viewpoint
of doing the list management has to be a member of ACM and SIGAda,
but members of the mailing list do not.

--Terry Westley, twestley@acm.org