* compiling error
@ 2003-09-25  2:28 Andrew
From: Andrew @ 2003-09-25  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to compile a program and since I'm a little new to the linux
compiler, the output is .. well kind of throwing me.. I'm hoping that
someone can help me out.

here is the input / output

==========
gnatmake maze.adb
gcc -c maze.adb
maze.adb:228:12: too many arguments in call
gnatmake: "maze.adb" compilation error
==========

I believe that it is telling me what line (I hope) that the error is
occuring on.
Is it telling me that line 12 is where the error is at?

I only ask because when I count down 12 lines (including blank lines)
the line looks ok.   So I'm hoping that someone can fill me in on how to
read the output, in terms of : is it telling what line the error is on.

* Re: compiling error
@ 2003-09-25  3:10 ` James Rogers
From: James Rogers @ 2003-09-25  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew <eagletalon@chartermi.net> wrote in

> I'm trying to compile a program and since I'm a little new to the linux
> compiler, the output is .. well kind of throwing me.. I'm hoping that
> someone can help me out.
>
> here is the input / output
>
> ==========
> gnatmake maze.adb
> gcc -c maze.adb
> maze.adb:228:12: too many arguments in call
> gnatmake: "maze.adb" compilation error
> ==========
>
> I believe that it is telling me what line (I hope) that the error is
> occuring on.
> Is it telling me that line 12 is where the error is at?
>
> I only ask because when I count down 12 lines (including blank lines)
> the line looks ok.   So I'm hoping that someone can fill me in on how to
> read the output, in terms of : is it telling what line the error is on.

It is telling you that the offending code is at column 12 of line 228.
It is also telling you that your procedure or function call contains
more arguments than were declared in the procedure or function
specification.

Jim Rogers

* Re: compiling error
@ 2003-09-25  3:12   ` Andrew
From: Andrew @ 2003-09-25  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

James Rogers wrote:
> Andrew <eagletalon@chartermi.net> wrote in
>

>>I'm trying to compile a program and since I'm a little new to the linux
>>compiler, the output is .. well kind of throwing me.. I'm hoping that
>>someone can help me out.
>>
>>here is the input / output
>>
>>==========
>>gnatmake maze.adb
>>gcc -c maze.adb
>>maze.adb:228:12: too many arguments in call
>>gnatmake: "maze.adb" compilation error
>>==========
>>
>>I believe that it is telling me what line (I hope) that the error is
>>occuring on.
>>Is it telling me that line 12 is where the error is at?
>>
>>I only ask because when I count down 12 lines (including blank lines)
>>the line looks ok.   So I'm hoping that someone can fill me in on how to
>>read the output, in terms of : is it telling what line the error is on.
>>

> It is telling you that the offending code is at column 12 of line 228.
> It is also telling you that your procedure or function call contains
> more arguments than were declared in the procedure or function
> specification.
>
> Jim Rogers

ahh.. thank you Jim

Andrew

* Re: compiling error
@ 2003-09-25 10:04     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2003-09-25 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew, I'd suggest you use the GNAT Programming System in addition to
GNAT.  The GPS is an integrated development environment, in which you
can edit your program and compile.  It will then let you navigate
directly to where the error is.

You can find the GPS on http://libre.act-europe.fr/GPS.  If you use
Debian, you can get the relevant packages from the Ada-France
repository here:

deb http://www.ada-france.org/debian ada main
deb-src http://www.ada-france.org/debian ada main

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: compiling error
@ 2003-09-25 11:27       ` Jeff C,
From: Jeff C, @ 2003-09-25 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ludovic Brenta" <ludovic.brenta@insalien.org> wrote in message

> Andrew, I'd suggest you use the GNAT Programming System in addition to
> GNAT.  The GPS is an integrated development environment, in which you
> can edit your program and compile.  It will then let you navigate
> directly to where the error is.
>
> You can find the GPS on http://libre.act-europe.fr/GPS.  If you use
> Debian, you can get the relevant packages from the Ada-France
> repository here:

While I think GPS is promising, I have a few concerns about recommending the
academic version for general use (at this time).

There are several "problems" that will almost immediately pop up that are
not addressed on the top level web page. I think these problems are bad
enough to make someone regard this tool in a negative light.

The biggest problem I ran into is that there are features of GPS that at
least appear to assume a gnat 5.0 series
compiler (or at least I have attributed the problems to this). The biggest
being that GPS appears to create project
files that are not valid project files for the 3.15 series compilers. This
ends up making the tool look broken
almost immediately.

The next problem (assuming one works around the one above by building a 5.0
series compiler from CVS) is that
the pretty printer at least appears to be poorly integrated into the tool.
The editor does some level of indent/pretty
printing as you go but if you have existing code you want to reformat you
select pretty print it creates
a new window that is not the original source window to reformat the code.
There are probably reasons why this is
good.. But it feels yucky and requires copy/paste back to original buffer.

The next problem is that the simulated MDI has too many ways to end up with
a window on "top" but no window selected so that when you select compile, it
can not do it because there is no "top" level window. This feels wrong. It
should probably try to prefer the selected window but if no window is
"selected" it should just assume that the window
in the front of the MDI is the one I want to compile..I am sure there are
things that make doing this sound easier than it is
but it is another feature that feels broken from the user point of view.

Unfortunately, under Linux it is probably the best option we have right now.
Under windows, especially for newbie's working on small 2-3 file projects, I
would still stick with AdaGIDE.

* Re: compiling error
@ 2003-09-25 12:44         ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2003-09-25 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think I've seen a related problem, but I don't know if it is because
of the pretty-printer being broke or something to do with the project
files. When I've attempted to change the defaults for things like
indentation, etc., it creates something in a file that can't be properly
parsed & you have to remove it or it won't work. Do you know if this has
to do with the 5.0 version issue you mentioned or is it strictly a
pretty-printer thing?

I don't in general like to have editors try to "help" me while I'm
typing. But any attempts to tailor the "help" to my personal preferences
seem to cause the thing to go crazy. I imagine there will be some
improvement on this over time, but its really annoying when something so
integral to the everyday use doesn't work right. (I can deal with some
sideline feature that is only occasionally used not working as intended,
but when you're doing something common - like typing - its annoying not
having that work well.)

MDC

Jeff C, wrote:

> The next problem (assuming one works around the one above by building a 5.0
> series compiler from CVS) is that
> the pretty printer at least appears to be poorly integrated into the tool.
> The editor does some level of indent/pretty
> printing as you go but if you have existing code you want to reformat you
> select pretty print it creates
> a new window that is not the original source window to reformat the code.
> There are probably reasons why this is
> good.. But it feels yucky and requires copy/paste back to original buffer.

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm

Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ a c m . o r g

     "All reformers, however strict their social conscience,
      live in houses just as big as they can pay for."

          --Logan Pearsall Smith

* Re: compiling error
@ 2003-09-25 19:44           ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2003-09-25 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic <nobody@noplace.com> writes:

> I don't in general like to have editors try to "help" me while I'm
> typing. But any attempts to tailor the "help" to my personal
> preferences seem to cause the thing to go crazy. I imagine there
> will be some improvement on this over time, but its really annoying
> when something so integral to the everyday use doesn't work
> right. (I can deal with some sideline feature that is only
> occasionally used not working as intended, but when you're doing
> something common - like typing - its annoying not having that work
> well.)

I used to change the GLIDE defaults (2 spaces standard indent instead
of 3, etc) but have now decided that it's easiest to go with the flow
on this one. Partly affected by being on a project with 20+ other
developers .. in GLIDE the customisations aren't all that easy to
spread about the team.

* Re: GPS error
@ 2003-09-25 21:13           ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2003-09-25 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic wrote:

> I think I've seen a related problem, but I don't know if it is because
> of the pretty-printer being broke or something to do with the project
> files. When I've attempted to change the defaults for things like
> indentation, etc., it creates something in a file that can't be properly
> parsed & you have to remove it or it won't work. Do you know if this has
> to do with the 5.0 version issue you mentioned or is it strictly a
> pretty-printer thing?

I guess it's probably a good thing that GPS doesn't work on Win98, then,
since it helps me avoid all these errors. I'm not very pleased that a
post about the problem with Win98 on the GPS users list generated zero
replies.

--
Jeff Carter
"Oh Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou

* Re: compiling error
@ 2003-09-25 21:54             ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-09-25 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I used to change the GLIDE defaults (2 spaces standard indent instead
> of 3, etc) but have now decided that it's easiest to go with the flow
> on this one. Partly affected by being on a project with 20+ other
> developers .. in GLIDE the customisations aren't all that easy to
> spread about the team.

Put the customizations in a .el file, and put that in you
configuration mangagement system. That's what I do; works very well.

However, I also decided to only change a few values from the default.
That's because I'm an ACT supported customer, and they provide code
that uses the defaults. So I don't want to find it disturbing to read
their code :).

--
-- Stephe

* Re: compiling error
@ 2003-09-26  1:38           ` Jeff C,
From: Jeff C, @ 2003-09-26  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Frank" <franjoe@frisurf.no> wrote in message
> Hi
>

> Im in the WindowsXP using gnat3.15p:
>
> >The biggest problem I ran into is that there are features of GPS that at
> >least appear to assume a gnat 5.0 series
>
> I havent noticed any problem regarding this.

> > the pretty printer at least appears to be poorly integrated into the
tool.
> > The editor does some level of indent/pretty
> > printing as you go but if you have existing code you want to reformat
you

> When I choose Pretty printing it happens nothing at all. It gives a
message
> "gnat: unknown command: pretty"

Grin...That is because the command option pretty (to the command gnat)  is a
GNAT 5.0 feature!
So in fact, you have noticed a problem regarding this and just did not
realize it. There are other issues (like the
fact that the format of the project file (again related to pretty printing)
is different.

I am not saying it is totally broken without GNAT 5.0 but it certainly does
not feel like a "finished" tool yet.

Note that I am not really trying to put the tool down. It is not bad but it
certainly looks bad when basic features
appear to fail with no notice given in the website as to what to expect from
the Academic version.

C:\> gnat

GNAT Pro 5.01a (20030721) Copyright 1996-2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

List of available commands

GNAT BIND               gnatbind
GNAT CHOP               gnatchop
GNAT COMPILE            gnatmake -f -u -c
GNAT ELIM               gnatelim
GNAT FIND               gnatfind
GNAT KRUNCH             gnatkr
GNAT LINK               gnatlink
GNAT LIST               gnatls
GNAT MAKE               gnatmake
GNAT NAME               gnatname
GNAT PREPROCESS         gnatprep
GNAT PRETTY             gnatpp
GNAT STANDARD           gnatpsta
GNAT STUB               gnatstub
GNAT XREF               gnatxref

* Re: compiling error
@ 2003-09-26  6:43         ` Frank
From: Frank @ 2003-09-26  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

Im in the WindowsXP using gnat3.15p:

>The biggest problem I ran into is that there are features of GPS that at
>least appear to assume a gnat 5.0 series

I havent noticed any problem regarding this.

> the pretty printer at least appears to be poorly integrated into the tool.
> The editor does some level of indent/pretty
> printing as you go but if you have existing code you want to reformat you

When I choose Pretty printing it happens nothing at all. It gives a message
"gnat: unknown command: pretty"

> The next problem is that the simulated MDI has too many ways to end up
with
> a window on "top" but no window selected so that when you select compile,
it
I have noticed something similar when using "Find". I choose find and when
the dialog is
activated it has switched to a different document and it is not active -
confusing

Frank

* Re: compiling error
@ 2003-09-26 13:17             ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2003-09-26 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

So maybe this is deliberate? ACT wants to force all Ada programmers to
adopt "The ACT Style" of Ada coding, so they give away a spiffy tool and
leave the ability to customize the style broken so that sooner or later
we all give in and "Go With The Flow" - translation: "Resistance is
futile. You will be assimilated."

I need to get out my aluiminum foil helmet and ground it to a cold water
pipe. "They" are trying to control my thoughts again... :-)

MDC