* gwindows help please
@ 2003-03-19 22:59 R. Srinivasan
From: R. Srinivasan @ 2003-03-19 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

i am looking for examples of multiple tasks updating forms -- progress bars
and the like. in particular gui updates based on timers. No samples provided
with the download appear to fit the bill.

any pointers would be deeply appreciated.

regards

srini

* Re: gwindows help please
@ 2003-03-20 20:02 ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2003-03-20 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

R. Srinivasan wrote in message
>i am looking for examples of multiple tasks updating forms -- progress
bars
>and the like. in particular gui updates based on timers. No samples
provided
>with the download appear to fit the bill.
>
>any pointers would be deeply appreciated.

There are examples of doing that sort of thing in Claw. Perhaps one of
them would be useful?

Claw was designed to support the access of multiple tasks to the GUI; as
I understand it, GWindows was not (for reasons of interoperability with
GnatCOM).

(I'll stop short of saying that switching to Claw might be in order. :-)

           Randy.

* Re: gwindows help please
@ 2003-03-21  2:54   ` R. Srinivasan
From: R. Srinivasan @ 2003-03-21  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

thanks.

i figured it out. wasnt too involved.

but i think i would try claw as well.

I am curious whether Claw is being updated with the newer win32 sdk's? (I
had the impression -- perhaps totally baseless -- that it was not in active
development mode)

Also initially i am looking primarily for hobbyist (read - free) licenses. I
wonder if Claw qualifies !

regards

"Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com> wrote in message
> R. Srinivasan wrote in message
> >i am looking for examples of multiple tasks updating forms -- progress
> bars
> >and the like. in particular gui updates based on timers. No samples
> provided
> >with the download appear to fit the bill.
> >
> >any pointers would be deeply appreciated.
>

> There are examples of doing that sort of thing in Claw. Perhaps one of
> them would be useful?
>
> Claw was designed to support the access of multiple tasks to the GUI; as
> I understand it, GWindows was not (for reasons of interoperability with
> GnatCOM).
>
> (I'll stop short of saying that switching to Claw might be in order. :-)
>
>            Randy.

* Re: gwindows help please
@ 2003-03-21 16:02   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2003-03-21 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway

GWindows was designed to support the access of multiple tasks to the GUI. In
fact there are multiple ways of doing it to accommodate different needs.
Claw's design is limited to a single method that makes ActiveX more
difficult (although not impossible as demonstrated on the GMGPL Claw page).

If you look in the samples folder you will find a number of examples.

David Botton

> Claw was designed to support the access of multiple tasks to the GUI; as
> I understand it, GWindows was not (for reasons of interoperability with
> GnatCOM).

* Re: gwindows help please
@ 2003-03-21 20:51     ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2003-03-21 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Botton wrote in message ...
>GWindows was designed to support the access of multiple tasks to the
GUI. In
>fact there are multiple ways of doing it to accommodate different
needs.
>Claw's design is limited to a single method that makes ActiveX more
>difficult (although not impossible as demonstrated on the GMGPL Claw
page).

I think it would be accurate to say (I'm sure David will correct me if
I'm wrong) that GWindows supports tasking in the sense that multiple
tasks can access the GUI. But (some) operations on a particular object
are limited (by Windows) to a particular task. OTOH, Claw allows any
task to make any operation on any object, the only restriction being the
standard shared variable one in Ada: two tasks cannot operate on the
same object at the same time.

         Randy.

* Re: gwindows help please
@ 2003-03-21 20:55     ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2003-03-21 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

R. Srinivasan wrote in message ...
>thanks.
>
>i figured it out. wasnt too involved.
>
>but i think i would try claw as well.
>
>I am curious whether Claw is being updated with the newer win32 sdk's?
(I
>had the impression -- perhaps totally baseless -- that it was not in
active
>development mode)
>
>Also initially i am looking primarily for hobbyist (read - free)
licenses. I
>wonder if Claw qualifies !

The Introductory version of Claw is licensed under the GMGPL. That isn't
reflected in the files, but it's true (Adapower has a page devoted to
that).

It's true we haven't released a new free version in quite a while, but
certainly development is continuing. Recently, we been working more on
Internet stuff (HTTP, FTP) than GUI, but there's quite a bit of new GUI
stuff in the pipeline. A new free version should appear in a few months,
but I can use a line from RKBD here: it's not a priority over supporting
the paying customers.

            Randy.