From: Jeffrey Creem <jeff@thecreems.com>
Subject: Re: pragma importing sem_init gives me a segmentation fault
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 19:01:01 -0500
Date: 2007-02-24T19:01:01-05:00	[thread overview]

laforge2001@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm an ADA noob so please be gentle :) Anyways, I am trying to use
> POSIX semaphores by pragma importing sem_init, sem_post, sem_wait,
> etc. and it seems everytime I hit sem_init, the program seg faults.
> Has anyone ever tried doing this before with any success ?
>
> These semaphores are in shared memory and I believe I'm allocating the
> same space in memory as a sem_t type. We are actually trying to
> convert from an SGI platform to a Linux based platform, so all the
> previous semaphore calls were SGI specific and we were looking to move
> to POSIX based semaphores. Does anyone have any ideas how to go about
> this ?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

POSIX.5 specifies a standard Ada binding to many of the services of POSIX.

IBM Ada Developer (formally Rational Apex) comes with a POSIX.5 interface.

There is a package available for GNAT called florist. You don't mention
what compiler you are using but since you are coming from SGI it is
probably a fairly safe bet that it is GNAT based.

In any case, florist does have an existing binding to sem_init so you
can either look to it for guidance or actually consider using it.