From: "Clueless" <chris@dont.spam.me>
Subject: Re: Pre-Elaboration clarification.
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 15:46:35 GMT
Date: 2001-11-22T15:46:35+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <tuomu32t6sb9@corp.supernews.com>, "Matthew Heaney"
<mheaney@on2.com> wrote:

> "Clueless" <chris@dont.spam.me> wrote in message
>> In my Ada spec file, I have the declaration...
>>
>> type Int_Data is array(1..Argument_Count) of Integer;
>
> Don't do it this way.  Just declare an unconstrained array type:
>
> type Integer_Array is array (Positive range <>) of Integer;
>
> The spec that declares the Integer_Array type shouldn't depend on
> package Command_Line.  This is unnecessary coupling between specs.
>
> I'll be talking about this sort of thing at next year's Ada Europe
> conference in Austria.  (Assuming the committee accepts my tutorial
> proposal.)

Are there any basic rules of thumb that an "Intermediate" level
programmer(as I was declared by my CS teacher) should follow in Ada as
regards data types and spec files?
I've made a BIG point of avoiding unecessary coupling as you pointed out.
As I'm not writing very "large" programs in Ada yet, I havent really run
into any problems with Data types and elaboration. Is there anything that
I should be practicing regularly, which might be peculiar to Ada95, that
would help me avoid problems once I get into developing "larger" pieces
of software?

McDoobie
chris@dont.spam.me