From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Software Engineer Seeks Compatible Cratifier
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 15:21:51 +0200	[thread overview]

On 2024-06-23 10:10, Alastair Hogge wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jun 2024 20:27:16 +0200, Pascal Obry wrote:
>
>> Le mardi 18 juin 2024 à 20:06 +0200, Jeffrey R.Carter a écrit :
>>> IIUC, there has to be a project file in the crate. That does not mean
>>> there has to be a project file in my Github repository.
>>
>> But then you impose someone to create a project file. And this would be
>> needed by all packager, there is not only crates around to build a
>> component. And moreover, you let the "packager" find the correct options
>> to be used which is certainly not a good solution.
>>
>> That's exactly why I had proposed a PR with a project file. It
>> "documents" the way the code must be compiled (at least with GNAT) and
>> installed for everyone wanting to package your components.
>
> +1 for a .gpr project file to enable package maintainers; it facilitates
> easier to integrate Ada systems with the host system.

Yes, but the system must generate a parent gpr file with the target
settings. Fedora's GNAT has such a thing in a very primitive form. It
must define the target OS description, default switches, 32 vs 64 bit,
architecture, availability of pragma Atomic for 64-bit scalars, some
standard libraries for the linker etc. Then the user gpr will able to
refer to these in the main gpr.

OT, the reason why I do not use Alire is because it has no upload
function. I cannot manually submit my projects each time I ship a new
version of some of them. It should support automated uploads.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov