* ANN: http & smtp etc packages to adapower
@ 2003-02-13  6:57 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2003-02-13  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Botton will soon be posting on www.adapower.com some packages
I sent in the hopes they would help someone build the killer Ada app ;)

http            offers Open/Get/Head/Post routines to access web
                pages.  It includes line (ie, crlf) oriented read
                with Content-length or transfer-encoding: chunked
                sizes.  It will save/send cookies (default) or
                ignore them.  multitasking safe, of course.

smtp            handles smtp (e-mail send) protocol

sorts           generic List/Merge sort (Knuth Vol 3, alg. 5.2.4L)

WORM_Str        Write Once, Read Many String store, also includes
                binary search generic subpackage.

Notify          A 31 line demo of the above, that reads a web page
                and emails the first line containing the word "title",
                if there is such a line.

The style of usage, from the Notify demo, is:

  Http.Open(Web, "www.somewhere.com");
  Http.Get(Web, "/", Response, Send_Cookies => False);
  loop
    Http.Get_Line(Web, Line, Last);
    exit when Last = 0;
    if Ada.Strings.Fixed.Index(Line(1 .. Last), "title") /= 0 then
      Smtp.Open(Email, Host => "mail.myISP.com");
      Smtp.Send_Message_Info(Email, Sender => "me@myISP.com",
        To => "you@yourISP.com", Subject => "Notify");
      Smtp.Put_Content_Line(Email, Line(1 .. Last));
      Smtp.Finish_Message(Email);
      Smtp.Close(Email);
      exit;
    end if;
  end loop;
  Http.Close(Web);

The posted packages are unrestricted in use and themselves use the
GMGPL version of Windows Claw, available via www.adapower.com

* Re: ANN: http & smtp etc packages to adapower
@ 2003-02-13 13:22 ` Wojtek Narczynski
From: Wojtek Narczynski @ 2003-02-13 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote in message news:<8lH2a.93830$be.72060@rwcrnsc53>...
> David Botton will soon be posting on www.adapower.com some packages
> I sent in the hopes they would help someone build the killer Ada app ;)

Wow! Very interesting, I'm looking forward to grab the sources.

Many thanks,
Wojtek

* Re: ANN: http & smtp etc packages to adapower
@ 2003-02-13 13:33 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-02-13 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote:

> The posted packages are unrestricted in use and themselves use the
> GMGPL version of Windows Claw, available via www.adapower.com

I don't understand this statement. Is the files dependant on Windows
Claw or are they independant. Do you have any name for your packages so
it is easier to find them on www.adapower.com?

--
Preben Randhol ---------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent", Isaac Asimov

* Re: ANN: http & smtp etc packages to adapower
@ 2003-02-13 18:42   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2003-02-13 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway

Just added:

http://www.adapower.com/os/notify.html

David Botton

@ 2003-02-13 20:49   ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2003-02-13 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > The posted packages are unrestricted in use and themselves use the
> > GMGPL version of Windows Claw, available via www.adapower.com
>
> I don't understand this statement. Is the files dependant on Windows
> Claw or are they independant.
  They are Ada source files, designed to run in an environment that
supplies Claw.Sockets and the Windows winsock API.  Feel free to
modify them to use a different socket package on a different OS.
I note that a different SMTP package, with different requirements and
a somewhat different interface, is available at
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/contrib.html

> Do you have any name for your packages so
> it is easier to find them on www.adapower.com?
  As David Botton noted, they are now at
www.adapower.com/os/notify.html
("Notify" being the name of the usage demo)

* Re: ANN: http & smtp etc packages to adapower
@ 2003-02-13 21:05     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-02-13 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote:
>> > The posted packages are unrestricted in use and themselves use the
>> > GMGPL version of Windows Claw, available via www.adapower.com
>>
>> I don't understand this statement. Is the files dependant on Windows
>> Claw or are they independant.
>   They are Ada source files, designed to run in an environment that
> supplies Claw.Sockets and the Windows winsock API.  Feel free to
> modify them to use a different socket package on a different OS.

Adasockets are platform independant so it would be better to use than
Claw I should think. But I'll have a look at the source :-)

--

@ 2003-02-13 22:28     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2003-02-13 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org writes:

> > > The posted packages are unrestricted in use and themselves use the
> > > GMGPL version of Windows Claw, available via www.adapower.com
> >
> > I don't understand this statement. Is the files dependant on Windows
> > Claw or are they independant.
>   They are Ada source files, designed to run in an environment that
> supplies Claw.Sockets and the Windows winsock API.  Feel free to
> modify them to use a different socket package on a different OS.
> I note that a different SMTP package, with different requirements and
> a somewhat different interface, is available at
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/contrib.html

And this SMTP package has been merged into AWS 1.3 to be released. Note also
that AWS 1.3 can be used with GNAT.Sockets (the default now) or Adasockets, it
has been tested on Windows, GNU/Linux and Solaris.

Pascal.

--|

* Re: ANN: http & smtp etc packages to adapower
@ 2003-02-14  2:15       ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2003-02-14  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Adasockets are platform independant so it would be better to use than
> Claw I should think. But I'll have a look at the source :-)
  They are different in style and "thickness" of binding also.
"AdaSockets is a medium binding ..."
  Given:
"To use AdaSockets with gnatmake once installed, type:"
is Adasockets compiler vendor independent also?  It appears to generate
"unrecognized pragma" warnings, which perhaps aren't important, and
just a simple unzip seems to leave some files missing - perhaps they
come from running gnatmake?
  If you need to run on something other than MS Windows, then Claw
("Class Library Ada Windows") is not appropriate.

* Re: ANN: http & smtp etc packages to adapower
@ 2003-02-14 21:57       ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2003-02-14 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote in message ...
>Adasockets are platform independant so it would be better to use than
>Claw I should think. But I'll have a look at the source :-)

Tom was the primary designer of the Claw sockets library, so I wouldn't
be surprised if he feels more familar using that rather than some other
library.

That said, it wouldn't be hard at all to create a Claw.Sockets clone for
other OSes. It's much less Windows dependent than the majority of Claw.

             Randy.