* Ada 2005 Books (again probably!)
@ 2008-04-23  7:57 John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2008-04-23  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All

Now that Burns/Wellings book has been out for a little while, can
anyone suggest which would be the better book for someone who has used
Ada a lot in the past (83 and 95) and wants to know more about using
Ada 2005 in the real world? The title of Burns/Wellings books suggests
that it might be best for me, as I develop embedded, concurrent
real-time systems (currently in C++), but I wonder how much is
specific to the changes involved in Ada 2005. Previously my favourite
Ada book was Cohen's Ada As A Second Language.

Any reviews/information etc gratefully received.

John

* Re: Ada 2005 Books (again probably!)
@ 2008-04-23  9:08 ` Ludovic Brenta
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-04-23  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Have you looked at the Ada 2005 Rationale by John Barnes? It
concentrates on the changes in Ada 2005 rather than reintroducing
everything.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Ada 2005 Books (again probably!)
@ 2008-04-23 10:52   ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2008-04-23 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 02:08:44 -0700 (PDT), Ludovic Brenta
<ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:

>Have you looked at the Ada 2005 Rationale by John Barnes? It
>concentrates on the changes in Ada 2005 rather than reintroducing
>everything.

I have a copy of the Rationale, but it's not quite what I'm looking
for. I guess one of the problems is that, in the past, I found Barnes'
books were of a "how to program a computer, and we'll use Ada to show
you" rather than "oh, you already know how to program a computer,
here's where Ada is different to what you might already know". I'm
looking for more of the latter, i.e. I don't want the really basic
stuff, but the Rationale (for someone who hasn't been using Ada
regularly for about 7 years) is a bit too deep. Something in between
would be nice (like Cohen's book was for Ada 95 !)

* Re: Ada 2005 Books (again probably!)
@ 2008-04-23 13:25 ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 2008-04-23 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

John McCabe <john@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk.nospam> wrote:
> Now that Burns/Wellings book has been out for a little while, can

             out ?

Concurrent and Real-Time Programming in Ada    see:
http://www.cup.cam.ac.uk/uk/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=9780521866972

* Re: Ada 2005 Books (again probably!)
@ 2008-04-23 13:34   ` (see below)
From: (see below) @ 2008-04-23 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23/04/2008 14:25, in article fundco$dng$2@infosun2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de,
"Peter Hermann" <ica2ph@lucky.ihr.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> John McCabe <john@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk.nospam> wrote:
>> Now that Burns/Wellings book has been out for a little while, can
>

>              out ?

"out" = "published"

--
Bill Findlay
<surname><forename> chez blueyonder.co.uk

* Re: Ada 2005 Books (again probably!)
@ 2008-04-23 13:36   ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2008-04-23 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:25:44 -0400, Peter Hermann
<ica2ph@lucky.ihr.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> John McCabe <john@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk.nospam> wrote:
>> Now that Burns/Wellings book has been out for a little while, can
>

>              out ?
>

> Concurrent and Real-Time Programming in Ada    see:
> http://www.cup.cam.ac.uk/uk/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=9780521866972

I think "out" meant "available" in this context.  ;-)

The Burns/Welling book really is excellent on concurrency and RT
programming, and worth owning. I'd probably still go with the J. Barnes
book to look into other Ada 05 changes.  Figure you'll scan for what you
want, rather than read it cover to cover.

* Re: Ada 2005 Books (again probably!)
@ 2008-04-23 15:43     ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2008-04-23 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 23, 6:36 am, "Ed Falis" <fa...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:25:44 -0400, Peter Hermann
>
> <ica...@lucky.ihr.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
> > John McCabe <j...@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk.nospam> wrote:
> >> Now that Burns/Wellings book has been out for a little while, can
>
> >              out ?
>
> > Concurrent and Real-Time Programming in Ada    see:
> >http://www.cup.cam.ac.uk/uk/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=9780521866972
>
> I think "out" meant "available" in this context.  ;-)
>
> The Burns/Welling book really is excellent on concurrency and RT
> programming, and worth owning. I'd probably still go with the J. Barnes
> book to look into other Ada 05 changes.  Figure you'll scan for what you
> want, rather than read it cover to cover.

I owned both of these books (Programming in Ada 2005 by John Barnes
and Concurrent and Real-Time Programming in Ada by Alan Burns and Andy
Wellings). Of course, I have not read every thing but I did read every
thing about Ada 2005 specially in the area of OOP and concurrency
combination. I am in the process of reading them the second time and
test them out with real codes. I am thinking of writing concurrency
utilities (components) as suggested by Alan Burns. I would suggest
that you look at these books.

AV

* Re: Ada 2005 Books (again probably!)
@ 2008-04-23 23:11 ` Gene
From: Gene @ 2008-04-23 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

"John McCabe" <john@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> Now that Burns/Wellings book has been out for a little while, can
> anyone suggest which would be the better book for someone who has used
> Ada a lot in the past (83 and 95) and wants to know more about using
> Ada 2005 in the real world? The title of Burns/Wellings books suggests
> that it might be best for me, as I develop embedded, concurrent
> real-time systems (currently in C++), but I wonder how much is
> specific to the changes involved in Ada 2005. Previously my favourite
> Ada book was Cohen's Ada As A Second Language.

If you liked Cohen, you'll like Programming in Ada 2005 by John Barnes.  The
style is similar:  Maybe a bit less terse, but for me a bit more readable.

* Re: Ada 2005 Books (again probably!)
@ 2008-04-24  7:34     ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2008-04-24  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"(see below)" <yaldnif.w@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>On 23/04/2008 14:25, in article fundco$dng$2@infosun2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de,
>"Peter Hermann" <ica2ph@lucky.ihr.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
>
>> John McCabe <john@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk.nospam> wrote:
>>> Now that Burns/Wellings book has been out for a little while, can
>>

>>              out ?
>
>"out" = "published"

Is that a Scottish thing then? Thanks for the translation Bill :-)

* Re: Ada 2005 Books (again probably!)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-04-24  7:38 ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2008-04-24  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

John McCabe <john@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk.nospam> wrote:

>Hi All
>
>Now that Burns/Wellings book has been out for a little while, can
>anyone suggest which would be the better book for someone who has used
>Ada a lot in the past (83 and 95) and wants to know more about using
>Ada 2005 in the real world? The title of Burns/Wellings books suggests
>that it might be best for me, as I develop embedded, concurrent
>real-time systems (currently in C++), but I wonder how much is
>specific to the changes involved in Ada 2005. Previously my favourite
>Ada book was Cohen's Ada As A Second Language.

Dear All

Thanks for your comments. A colleague has ordered the Barnes book, so
I'm going to go with the Burns/Wellings one and then we'll probably
swap :-)

That's the first time I've ever managed to directly persuade someone
that Ada is worth looking at. Funnily enough the fact that he's been
using VHDL for a while now contributed to it as he can understand the
advantages of strong typing and so on.

@ 2008-04-24 13:31       ` (see below)
From: (see below) @ 2008-04-24 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24/04/2008 08:34, in article 1vd014d7cf422e2atchlnhg1h3acued2it@4ax.com,
"John McCabe" <john@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk.nospam> wrote:

> "(see below)" <yaldnif.w@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 23/04/2008 14:25, in article fundco$dng$2@infosun2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de,

>>>              out ?
>>
>> "out" = "published"
>
> Is that a Scottish thing then? Thanks for the translation Bill :-)

Not according to the MacOS X Dictionary:

--

@ 2008-04-24 15:30       ` Per Sandberg
From: Per Sandberg @ 2008-04-24 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Have already hacked most of it under the name space rt_tools is there
any interest?
/Per