From: Stephen Leake <Stephen.Leake@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject: hunting snarks
Date: 1999/12/14
Date: 1999-12-14T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

I wasted a couple of hours this past weekend due to what I propose we
call "the snark effect". The snark effect occurs when you change the
profile of a dispatching operation, and forget to change one of the
overriding operations on a derived type; the overriding operation
"silently vanishes away".

Connoisseurs of Lewis Carrol will protest that this should be the
"boojum snark effect", but that's too many words.

Anyway, this problem has been mentioned here before. I'm considering
hacking into GNAT to provide a fix, probably in the form of a pragma
Overrides. But first, I'd like to check if anyone else is working on a
solution, or has a proposal for a syntax for a solution.

Anyone?

-- Stephe