* Need help for debugging an Ada DLL
@ 2001-07-19 19:43 Hagi Yilmaz
From: Hagi Yilmaz @ 2001-07-19 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

  I built my Ada DLL by Gnat 3.13p compiler in WinNT.

  I also have a Visual C++ code (test.exe) calling the Ada DLL
(my_dll.dll).

  Problem is, I can't debug my DLL while the "test.exe" is running . I read
the GNAT User's guide, the section : "The program is built with some foreign
tools and the DLL is built with GCC/GNAT" and according to that I tried the
followings :

  $ gdb -nw  my_dll.dll

  -- The last line of this command ends with
  -- "This GDD was configured as6 "6-pc-mingw32"...<no debugging symbols
found>...." and this called my attention.

next, I set breakpoint

$ break my_start --an entry point to a subroutine of the DLL
$ .... <no debugging symbols found>... done

-- I don't remember exactly the result of break command but I remember the
<no debugging symbols found>... done statement.

so I entered :

$ symbol-file my_dll.dll
$ Reading symbols from my_dll.dll ....< no debugging symbols found>...done

  Is the problem due to symbol-file, symbol table? How can I achieve this
then?

  How can I debug my Ada DLL? Can anybody help me?

* Re: Need help for debugging an Ada DLL
@ 2001-07-20 16:18 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2001-07-20 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Hagi Yilmaz" <hagihun@hotmail.com> writes:

>   I built my Ada DLL by Gnat 3.13p compiler in WinNT.
> <snip>
>
>   Is the problem due to symbol-file, symbol table? How can I achieve
> this then?

It appears you did not include debugging information in the DLL. You
need to specify -g at both compile and link steps.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Need help for debugging an Ada DLL
@ 2001-07-21  6:58 ` Patrice Freydiere
From: Patrice Freydiere @ 2001-07-21  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

do you compile your DLL with the debugging option (include debugging
symboles ??)

Patrice

Dans l'article <mailman.995571864.13259.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>, "Hagi
Yilmaz" <hagihun@hotmail.com> a �crit :

@ 2001-07-24 12:25 Hagi Yilmaz
From: Hagi Yilmaz @ 2001-07-24 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

  I did compile my DLL with -g option, but I did not use the -g switch
  in linking steps. So I think the problem is in linking steps.

  I couldn't verify this at the moment, as I'm not in my office for a couple
of week.
  But when I'm back I will do that.

  Special thanks to Stephe and  Patrice  for their interest and help,
  and thanks for all the other people.

   - Hagihun