From: Stephen Leake <Stephe.Leake@nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: Use gnat and emacs(Ada-mode) can not compile file :(
Date: 05 May 2003 16:11:12 -0400
Date: 2003-05-05T20:26:31+00:00	[thread overview]

wangcity@hotmail.com (wang tianyi) writes:

> I use emacs21.3 and Ada-mode.el3.6 with gnat 1.5 compile Ada files
>   in winXP.

Welcome to the most powerful (but most confusing) integrated
development environment :).

>   but when i use "Ada->compile file" from menu, it tell me: "&& gcc
>   -c -gnatq i:/xxx.adb , system can not find need > file,
>   Compilation exited abnormally with code 1 at Sat May 03 >
>   15:42:24"

I don't use the Ada project settings to compile. As you have
discovered, they are slightly broken, and very confusing.

I recommend using Gnu makefiles. There is a version of make
distributed with GNAT, but the one that comes with Cygwin is slightly
better. So get Cygwin (www.cygwin.com), be sure to get 'make' with it,
and read the make manual.

For a good example of using make with Emacs and GNAT, see my web page
http://www.toadmail.com/~ada_wizard/

--
-- Stephe