From: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>
Subject: Re: SPARK and unbounded tree structures
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 06:31:53 -0400
Date: 2009-06-11T06:31:53-04:00	[thread overview]

xorquewasp@googlemail.com writes:

> I'm going to be working on a compiler for a domain-specific functional
> language soon. For obvious reasons, I'd like to use SPARK, if
> possible.

Ada is an obvious choice for this project, but SPARK is not.

SPARK is a good fit for _high integrity_ software, where you _must_ be
able to prove precise statements about the program's behavior.

Compilers are not that. They are far too complex for tools like SPARK
to handle (given the current state of the art), only in part because
of the problem you cite here.

All compilers have bugs. That's the state of the art. That's why users
must test their code, and assume the compiler has bugs.

--
-- Stephe