From: Stephen Leake <Stephen.Leake@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: What is the best Xwindow, window98 program to use frames with ada?
Date: 1999/12/08
Date: 1999-12-08T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

"Muller Boris" <bomet@cybercable.fr> writes:

> hehe well thank you to pin point this for me. I will definitely have no
> excuse as how to translate ( in french) frame.

You're welcome.

> <snip>
> For now i've seen that there's win32ada, windex, and Gtkada. Which is the
> best developped one?
> Win32Ada seems the one.

Win32Ada is a thin binding to the Win32 API. So it doesn't take
advantage of any of the power of Ada; it feels like programming in C.

Windex is a thick binding; it gives you windows that take full
advantage of Ada.

GtkAda is a thin binding to Gtk, which in turn is a windowing system
written in C that provides high-level stuff. I'm not very familiar
with it, but I think it still feels like programming in C.

All said, if you really want to do a reasonable project using fancy
windows, in Ada, try GtkAda. If you really want to use the full
power of Ada, and are willing to live with pretty simple windows (or
are willing to add more functionality), use Windex.

On the other hand, if you really insist on portability across Win32
and Linux/X windows, then GtkAda is your only choice (of these three).

You should also consider RAPID
(ftp://ftp.usafa.af.mil/pub/dfcs/carlisle/usafa/rapid/index.html),
which is a GUI generator. It can currently target only TASH, which is
an Ada binding to Tcl/Tk. They're working on a Gtk target; I'm
thinking of adding a Windex target to it.

-- Stephe