From: Hannes Haug <Hannes.Haug@Student.Uni-Tuebingen.de>
Subject: Re: Q: inlining
Date: 1996/06/24
Date: 1996-06-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

    Robert> Hannes asks "Gnat.info would be even better ;-) But there
    Robert> is a lot of stuff for which you have to read the sources
    Robert> of the lib. How to mix Ada and C I/O ?  That's
    Robert> implementation specific and should be in the docs. It
    Robert> would be nice if all that goes beyond ARM would be
    Robert> documented. And a TODO would be fine. Will support for
    Robert> machine intrinsic subprograms be available soon ? Perhaps
    Robert> I need "ldstub" and "ta" on Sparc."

    Robert> Yes, there is a lot more documentatoin needed, for some
    Robert> idea, see the SGI GNAT manuals, which are the model for
    Robert> the full GNAT documenation currently being written.

Where can I find it? I looked at the Ada FAQs, GNAT docs and www.gnat.com.
But I found no hint.

    Robert> Intrinsics will be available soon.  (meanwhile you can
    Robert> always write a C function that uses the gcc instrinsic
    Robert> feature).

I'm looking forward to it. But C isn't an option. Ldstub has to be
instrinsic. I'd like to use it for fast synchronization. It think
gnat uses mutexes or semaphores for synchronization. That's quite
slow. It would slow down consing. I have to care about this at the
low level. Otherwise I'd have to care about this stuff at the high
level, i.e. algorithms. :-(

Perhaps gnat-4 will have faster synchronization? Tasks seem to be
quite expensive, too. But I think my demands (not only in this area)
are a little bit unusual for Ada.

 -hannes