* HTTP Session package
@ 2001-04-11  6:40 Charles Darcy
From: Charles Darcy @ 2001-04-11  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

    I'm new to Ada, and as part of the learning process, I'm converting
a c++ application over to Ada95, using Gnat and GtkAda.

    The conversion has gone well, but I find I need a package which
supports creating an internet session, sending http GET/POST requests,
and receiving the replys.

    If anyone knows of such a package (preferably freely available), I'd
love to hear of it. I've searched till my eyes went googly, but with no
success.

    Also, I'm not certain if this message is appropriate to
comp.lang.ada. If not, is there a newsgroup/mail list which caters to
the "Is there a package 'x' which provides services 'y'" question ?

regards,

Charles.

* Re: HTTP Session package
@ 2001-04-11 12:27 ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2001-04-11 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Charles Darcy wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     I'm new to Ada, and as part of the learning process, I'm converting
> a c++ application over to Ada95, using Gnat and GtkAda.
>
>     The conversion has gone well, but I find I need a package which
> supports creating an internet session, sending http GET/POST requests,
> and receiving the replys.
>
>     If anyone knows of such a package (preferably freely available), I'd
> love to hear of it. I've searched till my eyes went googly, but with no
> success.

Well, you're in luck!!!

Here's the link to the Ada Web Server (AWS) software:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/contrib.html

The site is in French, but fortunately "AWS" translates well so it's
easy to find it on the page :-)  Accompanying documentation is in
English.

>     Also, I'm not certain if this message is appropriate to
> comp.lang.ada. If not, is there a newsgroup/mail list which caters to
> the "Is there a package 'x' which provides services 'y'" question ?

This is the best newsgroup for this sort of request.

Marc A. Criley
Senior Staff Engineer
Quadrus Corporation
www.quadruscorp.com

* Re: HTTP Session package
@ 2001-04-11 14:34   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2001-04-11 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Marc A. Criley" <mcqada@earthlink.net> writes:

> Here's the link to the Ada Web Server (AWS) software:
>
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/contrib.html

Thanks for the plug. Indeed AWS is capable to do the job look for AWS.Client
package.

Pascal.

--|

* Re: HTTP Session package
@ 2001-04-12  1:41   ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2001-04-12  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Here's the link to the Ada Web Server (AWS) software:
>http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/contrib.html
  There's also a minimal Server, smplsrvr, on www.adapower.com
But
> supports creating an internet session, sending http GET/POST requests,
> and receiving the replys.
  sounds to me like a web client, not a web server.  I have client-side
code in a program that scans a web page, doing a HEAD or GET on all
local links, the scanning those, to visit all the entire contents of
a site.  The web client part is pretty easy.

* Re: HTTP Session package
@ 2001-04-12 10:18   ` Charles Darcy
From: Charles Darcy @ 2001-04-12 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

    My thanks for each your replys.

    I've had a look at AWS and it seems ideal, one might even say 'aws-ome'
(sorry, bad pun).

    I've downloaded and built the package, and I'll try it out tonight.

    Once again, thanks for the help.

regards,

Charles.

"Marc A. Criley" wrote:

> Charles Darcy wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >     I'm new to Ada, and as part of the learning process, I'm converting
> > a c++ application over to Ada95, using Gnat and GtkAda.
> >
> >     The conversion has gone well, but I find I need a package which
> > supports creating an internet session, sending http GET/POST requests,
> > and receiving the replys.
> >
> >     If anyone knows of such a package (preferably freely available), I'd
> > love to hear of it. I've searched till my eyes went googly, but with no
> > success.
>
> Well, you're in luck!!!
>
> Here's the link to the Ada Web Server (AWS) software:
>
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/contrib.html
>
> The site is in French, but fortunately "AWS" translates well so it's
> easy to find it on the page :-)  Accompanying documentation is in
> English.
>

> >     Also, I'm not certain if this message is appropriate to
> > comp.lang.ada. If not, is there a newsgroup/mail list which caters to
> > the "Is there a package 'x' which provides services 'y'" question ?
>
> This is the best newsgroup for this sort of request.
>
> Marc A. Criley
> Senior Staff Engineer
> Quadrus Corporation
> www.quadruscorp.com

* Re: HTTP Session package
@ 2001-04-12 17:35     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2001-04-12 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org writes:

>   sounds to me like a web client, not a web server.  I have client-side

Yes and AWS support client side (keep-alive or not) HTTP protocol.

Pascal.

--|