From: Stephen Leake <Stephe.Leake@nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: Ann: TeXCAD 4.0 (-\epsilon)
Date: 13 May 2003 09:32:50 -0400
Date: 2003-05-13T13:48:20+00:00	[thread overview]

gautier_niouzes@hotmail.com (Gautier) writes:

> Stephen Leake:
>
> > Hmm. I downloaded it, unzipped TeXCAD.exe to a place in my PATH, and
> > ran texcad. The first time, it gave an error box, something about the
> > registry not finding a file. As usual for MS error messages, it didn't
> > say what file. But then, when I tried it again, to reproduce the error
> > message, I didn't get the error message.
>
> The error is fixed. It was indeed an unavoidable one... Thank you for
> mentioning it.

Hmm. "unavoidable" errors that are now fixed; that's a conundrum :).

> > I _strongly_ urge you to not use the Windows Registry for
> > _anything_! It is a royal pain, hard to test, hard to debug.
>
> If you have a better way, I am all ears!

Well, I need to know what you are using the registry for; I have not
yet downloaded the sources, nor did I peek into the registry to see
what you had done to it.

> > But the worst thing is that the user cannot change settings on a
> > per-process basis; the registry is strictly per-user.
>
> But how do Install Shield & Co clear the options for all users when
> uninstalling ?

I don't see how that is relevant to my point. I assume they have a
list of registry keys they installed, and they simply delete them.

Which is one problem with the registry approach; if I manage to
install version 3.2 and 3.3 of something, and then uninstall 3.3, 3.2
probably doesn't work any more.

--
-- Stephe