* Ada Compiler Benchmarking
@ 2001-02-09 16:20 Jeff Susanj
From: Jeff Susanj @ 2001-02-09 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

We are about to set up a procedure for benchmarking Ada compilers.  I have
been searching about for information on the ACES but I have found a lot of
dead links and it seems to have been developed before Ada95.  Are there
newer benchmarking suites available especially for Ada95?  Also, we are
looking for an Integrated Development Environment that will support both Ada
and C++ as our product has elements written in both languages.  We know of
Green Hills' AdaMulti.  Are there others?

Jeff S.

* Re: Ada Compiler Benchmarking
@ 2001-02-09 17:54 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2001-02-09 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeff Susanj" <jeffrey.l.susanj@boeing.com> writes:

> <snip>  Also, we are
> looking for an Integrated Development Environment that will support both Ada
> and C++ as our product has elements written in both languages.  We know of
> Green Hills' AdaMulti.  Are there others?

Depends on exactly what you mean by "Integrated Development
Environment". Also depends on the target and host. Also depends on how
tightly integrated the Ada and C++ are.

The GNU tool set will let you compile and link together Ada and C++
code. You can import C++ classes as Ada types and vice versa (with
some hard work writing the pragmas by hand). The GNU Emacs editor will
help you edit the code and run makefiles. Support is available for the
Ada side of the GNU compiler and Emacs, from ACT
(http://www.gnat.com). RedHat may sell support for the C++ side; I've
not checked. Gnu CVS integrates nicely for source code control. It all
runs on Linux, Win32, Solaris, AIX, etc. I consider this the best IDE
available.

Rational sells a similar setup, but I'm not sure you can import C++
classes into Ada (I beleive only the GNAT tools can do that).

DDCI also sells a mixed Ada/C++ environment.

Hope this helps.

--
-- Stephe