* What else do i need?
@ 2001-07-04 11:48 chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2001-07-04 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm trying to build GNAT 3.13p from the sources for Windows.  I have the source
distribution and GNAT is installed.  I tried the instructions for building
described in "readme.build", but I do not have "touch" installed.

What else do I need to build GNAT from the sources and will the build
instructions in "readme.build" work on Windows (The description say's they are
Unix build instructions or something like that, I thought I'd try them since I
couldn't find anything specific to Windows).

I have

GNAT 3.13p installed (downloading GNAT 3.12p for the build), the sources for
GNAT 3.13p.  I'm trying to build from Win98.

Also I have little (bordering on none what-so-ever) Unix experience.

Thanks,
Chris

* Re: What else do i need?
@ 2001-07-04 12:00 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2001-07-04 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"chris.danx" <chris.danx@ntlworld.com> writes:

> I have
>
> GNAT 3.13p installed (downloading GNAT 3.12p for the build), the sources for
> GNAT 3.13p.  I'm trying to build from Win98.

You need complete set of UNIX tools (sh, cp, rm...). But for sure you will
never succeed to build GNAT under Win98. You should try under NT or Win2K.

Pascal.

--|

* Re: What else do i need?
@ 2001-07-04 17:36   ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2001-07-04 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > I have
> >
> > GNAT 3.13p installed (downloading GNAT 3.12p for the build), the sources for
> > GNAT 3.13p.  I'm trying to build from Win98.
> >

> You need complete set of UNIX tools (sh, cp, rm...).

via Cygwin?  I started downloading this a while ago, and it's nearly done.  Even
if I don't need it, it will be useful for Gwydion Dylan et al.

> But for sure you will
> never succeed to build GNAT under Win98. You should try under NT or Win2K.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to NT or Win2K.  If it doesn't work then I'll
apply the GNAT for Dos stuff and run it through DJGPP, and then the fun can
begin!  I want to build it before I modify the compiler to work on bare 386+es,
rather than make some modifications and then go "oh, how do you build it?" which
would be daft!

May I ask why you don't think it will not succeed on win98?

Thanks for the info,
Chris Campbell

* Re: What else do i need?
@ 2001-07-05 12:30     ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2001-07-05 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

"chris.danx" <chris.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > > I have
> > >
> > > GNAT 3.13p installed (downloading GNAT 3.12p for the build), the sources
for
> > > GNAT 3.13p.  I'm trying to build from Win98.
> > >

> > You need complete set of UNIX tools (sh, cp, rm...).
>
> via Cygwin?  I started downloading this a while ago, and it's nearly done.
Even
> if I don't need it, it will be useful for Gwydion Dylan et al.

It's not Cygwin at all for win GNAT build, it's mingw (2.81) isn't it?  I've
downloaded that now and will be installing it later.

Chris

* Re: What else do i need?
@ 2001-07-05 13:12     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2001-07-05 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

"chris.danx" <chris.danx@ntlworld.com> writes:

> May I ask why you don't think it will not succeed on win98?

Yep, because it won't :)

More seriously I have tried long time ago and I did not succeed because there
was many problem with UNIX vs DOS file format. Windows NT and 2k are more
flexible on this area.

I'm not saying that you will not be able to do it, but for sure this is extra
troubles that will make the job VERY VERY hard instead of just difficult :)

Good luck,
Pascal.

--|

* Re: What else do i need?
@ 2001-07-05 13:13       ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2001-07-05 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"chris.danx" <chris.danx@ntlworld.com> writes:

> It's not Cygwin at all for win GNAT build, it's mingw (2.81) isn't it?  I've
> downloaded that now and will be installing it later.

Sure you need MINGW32 based libraries. But you need also a set of UNIX
compatible tools like CYGWIN tools or MKS ones to process the script needed to
build GCC/GNAT.

Pascal.

--|