From: Stephen Leake <stephen.a.leake.1@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: downloading ada
Date: 20 Nov 2001 18:07:41 -0500
Date: 2001-11-20T23:10:08+00:00	[thread overview]

Siegfried Gonzi <siegfried.gonzi@kfunigraz.ac.at> writes:

> Sorry, for polluting the group with trivial requirements, but where can
> I download a compile-able gnat-ada distribution. The following
> distribution (retrieved from the original gnat-homepage) is reluctant
> and will not compile (I assume compiling should not take longer than 5
> minutes?):

Depends on how fast your machine is, and how many header files it has
to process. The GNAT installation also installs the C compiler, and
that requires going thru your system include files and "fixing" them
to be somewhat ANSI C compiliant.

It might be nice to only get GNAT, but most real systems also need C,
and it's easier for ACT to make just one distribution.

> gnat-3.13p-sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1-bin.tar.gz

This is a _binary_ distribution; it will install an executable GNAT
compiler (if you follow the directions, and are patient enough).

On the same web site, but probably not in the same directory, there is
a source distribution. Look for a .tar.gz file that has no system
name, and no 'bin'.

You need the binary installation to compile the source; only GNAT can
compile GNAT.

--
-- Stephe