From: Pascal Obry <p.obry@wanadoo.fr>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] - New AWS (Ada Web Server) version (0.9.11)
Date: 02 May 2001 19:46:11 +0200
Date: 2001-05-02T17:44:20+00:00	[thread overview]

Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com>   writes:

> In article <uy9shceow.fsf@wanadoo.fr>, Pascal Obry says...
> >  - Fix bug in Keep-Alive connection handling in the server. If client does
> >    not ask for a non Keep-Alive connection we assume a Keep-Alive
> >    connection. This conform to RFC 2616.
>
> Hmmm. Perhaps this relates to a bug I was seeing. Some of my users were
> reporting that my web server would stop responding after 5 hits. I was
> calling AWS.Server.HTTP with a Max_Connection of 5, and it was reported that
> raising that to a huge number fixed the problem. Most users have never
> reported this problem. I personally could not duplicate the problem, except
> very occasionally when I wasn't trying to. :-( I'm curious if it might have
> had anything to do with this fix.

There is a lot of chances that it is the bug that gets fixed. I had this
problem too from time to time but was unable to catch the bug... BTW, the
problem append more with Netscape than IE...

> I'm glad to see it getting some good use. I wrote it in response to a thread
> here a few months back. I think its a very good example of how Ada can be
> used to drasticly simplify system calls that are a total pain in the keister
> for C and C++ developers. I still intend to make a GMGPL release of it
> sometime with some of my other bindings, but in the meantime anyone wanting
> to make use of it can get a copy from the SETI@Home Service sources. It is
> currently GPL, because I think that license works best in the context of the
> SETI@Home Service as a whole. However, if the licensing terms won't work for
> you, contact me and we'll see what arrangements can be made.

I think we will include the service API when it is released under GMGPL.
Please let us now when it is ready.

> A previous version of AWS has been in use for more than a month in the
> SETI@Home Service, which I think would now qualify as a "small Web
> Server". Other than the bug mentioned above, it has been working
> beautifully.

Thanks, that's a nice feedback. I'm currently migrating a medium Web server to
the AWS framework, I'll let all of you know how it works...

> Much kudos go to Pascal and Dmitriy and everyone else involved for developing
> and maitaining such a useful package. I know what a strain on their free
> time it must be

Indeed :) But it is so much fun !

> but its very much appreciated.

Thanks,