From: Pascal Obry <p.obry@wanadoo.fr>
Subject: Re: [ot] making stuff
Date: 20 Jul 2002 16:29:57 +0200
Date: 2002-07-20T14:30:06+00:00	[thread overview]

dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) writes:

> Requiring people to obtain cygwin is no different from requiring them
> to acquire any
> other software they may require. After all you are requiring your
> recipients
> to get Windows if you are providing a windows compatible version.

Ok, but yet it is not that trivial to install and setup a Cygwin environment
for non programers... It is better to just rely on makefile, this is possible
with GNAT since most of the jobs are:

- build the program

   build:
      gnatmake ...

- install the software

   ifeq (${OS}, Windows_NT)
   CP = copy
   else
   CP = cp
   endif

   install:

- build a tarball for distribution

   distrib:
      tar ...

This works well in many cases. In AWS, for example, we use only makefiles. It
is not perfect but it works.

From experiences (and I have a lot here), using configure/autoconf/automake
is always troublesome on Windows.

Pascal.