* ACATS mapping to Ada95 LRM
@ 2002-10-10 14:26 Mikael Lundqvist
From: Mikael Lundqvist @ 2002-10-10 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a mapping from the ACATS tests to the Ada95
LRM? After have seen the ACATS tests there seem to be such a mapping
although it's not explicitly stated.

All help is greatly appreciated,
Mikael Lundqvist

* Re: ACATS mapping to Ada95 LRM
@ 2002-10-10 15:12 ` Robert A Duff
From: Robert A Duff @ 2002-10-10 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mikael Lundqvist <mikael.lundqvist@avionics.saab.se> writes:

> Does anyone know if there is a mapping from the ACATS tests to the Ada95
> LRM? After have seen the ACATS tests there seem to be such a mapping
> although it's not explicitly stated.

You mean, given a particular ACATS test, you want to know which
section(s) of the RM it's trying to test?

Well, the name of the test encodes the "main" section number, using
single-digit hex numbers for each part of the section number.  E.g., if
the test name starts with CA12, we know it's a C test (execution time
test), and the section number is 10.1.2, with the "A" standing for "10".
Or something like that.  Look at the instructions that come from the
test suite -- they give the exact rules.  This naming scheme was
invented when some operating systems had unreasonable limits on
file-name lengths.

There may also be a list of tests with sections and/or test objectives.
Also, the tests contain comments saying what they're testing.  You might
be able to find the "ACVC Implementer's Guide", which was basically a
test plan for the ACVC (which is now called ACATS).

Oh, one problem: I think the tests written for Ada 83 retain the section
numbers from the Ada 83 RM.  These are usually close to the Ada 95
section numbers, but not quite the same.  The instructions also tell you
how to distinguish Ada 83 tests from Ada 95 tests.  I think *.a are
newer, and *.ada are older, but there are lots of other extensions used.

- Bob

* Re: ACATS mapping to Ada95 LRM
@ 2002-10-22 19:09   ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2002-10-22 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert A Duff wrote in message ...
>Mikael Lundqvist <mikael.lundqvist@avionics.saab.se> writes:
>
>> Does anyone know if there is a mapping from the ACATS tests to the
Ada95
>> LRM? After have seen the ACATS tests there seem to be such a mapping
>> although it's not explicitly stated.
>
>You mean, given a particular ACATS test, you want to know which
>section(s) of the RM it's trying to test?

To add to Bob's answer, there is a document included with the test suite
that gives paragraph coverage for Ada 95 ACATS tests. For Ada 83 tests,
you can look in the Ada 83 Implementor's Guide, but then you'd still
have to map the tests to Ada 95 sections (which are not always the
same).

As Bob noted, a rough guide is given by the name of the test. Details
are given in the ACATS documentation; I strongly recommend anyone
interested in the test suite read it carefully.

          Randy Brukardt
          ACAA Technical Agent (responsible for maintenance on the ACATS
suite).