From: Stephen Leake <Stephe.Leake@nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: Is it possible to build an Ada cross-compiler for an 8-bit embedded target now that gcc 3.X has support for Ada?
Date: 18 Nov 2003 11:03:57 -0500
Date: 2003-11-18T16:08:15+00:00	[thread overview]

> "Peter Milliken" <peterm@resmed.com.au> wrote in message
> >
> > Now that you can build an Ada compiler using gcc 3.X (well,
> > according to the build instructions of gcc 3.x :-)), I began to
> > wonder whether it was possible to build a cross-compiler for an
> > 8-bit target processor. The 8-bit processor family in question is
> > already supported by gcc (I believe).
> >
> > When I say "possible", I just mean "follow the cross-compiling
> > instructions and out pops an Ada compiler" - I don't mean, "spend
> > months of work patching various files and then you might have an
> > Ada compiler" :-)
>
> To not answer your actual question at all, but...
>
> As someone else pointed out, the biggest cost/overhead is porting the
> runtime libraries.

Note that the "no runtime" subset of Ada is still a _far_ better
language than C. So it is worth persuing, since you already have the
code-generation part in the gcc back end. The result won't be "Ada",
but it will be a very useful subset.

GNAT provides a "pragma No_Runtime", which reports errors for any code
that would use the runtime, so you can tell when you need to change
the code.

--
-- Stephe