* Can't be a varient record?
@ 2000-01-24  0:00 Roga Danar
From: Roga Danar @ 2000-01-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

  I have inherited some code and came across this type and it's
associated "doc".

  Is the reason that record cannot be may a varient record valid?

   type WYPT_Record_Type is

      --% This record defines the data fields that are associated
with      <==
      --% a waypoint.  Note that since this record is stored
in                <==  Is this valid? If so why?
      --% non-elaborated memory, it cannot be a variant
record.           <==

      record
         Kind    : Kind_Type ;
            --% Kind of waypoint.
         Lat     : NAV.Latitude_Type ;
            --% Latitude of waypoint.
         Long    : NAV.Longitude_Type ;
            --% Longitude of waypoint.
         Elev    : Elevation_Type ;
            --% Elevation of waypoint, in MSL.
         MVar    : NAV.Mag_Heading_Type ;
            --% Magnetic variation at waypoint location.
         Tag     : Tag_Type ;
            --% Tag (identifier) for waypoint.
         Comment : Comment_Type ;
            --% Twenty character comment field for waypoint.
         Color           : TAC_DMS_TYPES.Color_Type ;
            --% Color for digital map.
         Map_Symbol      : Map_Symbol_Type ;
            --% Symbol for digital map.
         DEU_Symbol_Code : DEU_Symbol_Type ;
            --% DEU symbol code.
         -- the following three fields are only applicable when
         -- Kind = Moving
            Start_Time : EXEC_TIME.Date_Time_Type ;
               --% Time the waypoint starts moving.
            Course     : Heading_Type ;
               --% Course of moving waypoint with respect to true north.

            Speed      : Speed_Type ;
               --% Ground speed of moving waypoint.
         -- the following three fields are only applicable when
         -- Kind = Offset
            Master_Num   : WYPT_Number_Type ;
               --% Waypoint number of master waypoint.
            Dist_To_Mstr : Range_Type  ;
               --% Distance from master to offset waypoint.
            Bearing      : Heading_Type ;
               --% True bearing from master to offset waypoint.
         -- the following field is only applicable when
         -- Kind = Store
            Store_Time : EXEC_TIME.Date_Time_Type ;
               --% Time the waypoint was stored.
         -- waypoint category, added for digital map usage
         Category : TAC_DMS_TYPES.Category_Type ;
            --% Waypoint category, used for dig map.
         Datum_ID : Tag_type;
            --% Datum identifier
         Datum_Lat : NAV.Latitude_Type ;
            --% Latitude of waypoint.
         Datum_Long : NAV.Longitude_Type ;
            --% Longitude of waypoint.
      end record;

* Re: Can't be a varient record?
@ 2000-01-27  0:00 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2000-01-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roga Danar <work@alphasoft-inc.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
>   I have inherited some code and came across this type and it's
> associated "doc".
>
>   Is the reason that record cannot be may a varient record valid?

> <snip>

The "reason" given is :
>       Note that since this record is stored in
>       non-elaborated memory, it cannot be a variant record.

The concept "non-elaborated memory" is not an Ada concept. You'll have
to find out what that means, precisely, before you can know whether it
is still valid in your current application.

-- Stephe