* compile warning
@ 2001-05-23 23:59 Peter I. Hansen
From: Peter I. Hansen @ 2001-05-23 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello I get the following warning when compiling with gnatmake :

/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-unknown-freebsd4.3/2.8.1/adalib//libgnat.so:
warning: mktemp() possibly used unsafely; consider using mkstemp()

I'm on a FreeBSD 4.3.
What can I do about this ?

/Peter

* Re: compile warning
@ 2001-05-24  0:21 ` Aron Felix Gurski
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Aron Felix Gurski @ 2001-05-24  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Peter I. Hansen" wrote:

> Hello I get the following warning when compiling with gnatmake :
>
> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-unknown-freebsd4.3/2.8.1/adalib//libgnat.so:
> warning: mktemp() possibly used unsafely; consider using mkstemp()
>
> I'm on a FreeBSD 4.3.
> What can I do about this ?

I don't know what to do about it, but I can confirm that the gnat compiler
generates the same message on my Linux system. So far, though, it doesn't seem
to have caused any problems for me, but then I'm just beginning to learn Ada 95.

--
        -- Aron

NB: To reply by e-mail, remove "spam-block." from my address.
- - - - - - - - - - -

        -- Winston Churchill

* Re: compile warning
@ 2001-05-24 15:06 ` Florian Weimer
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Florian Weimer @ 2001-05-24 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Peter I. Hansen" <pih@oek.dk> writes:

> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-unknown-freebsd4.3/2.8.1/adalib//libgnat.so:
> warning: mktemp() possibly used unsafely; consider using mkstemp()

> What can I do about this ?

Submit a patch to ACT? ;-)

* Re: compile warning
@ 2001-05-25 11:19 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2001-05-25 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter:

> Hello I get the following warning when compiling with gnatmake :
>
> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-unknown-freebsd4.3/2.8.1/adalib//libgnat.so:
> warning: mktemp() possibly used unsafely; consider using mkstemp()

It is most likely related to the risk that temporary files are created
in a way that allows other users to manipulate the files in dangerous
ways (like adding backdoors in supposedly secure programs).

Jacob

PS: Rart at se at der er enkelte danske Ada-brugere rundt omkring.
    Er du med i "Ada i Danmark"?
--
Warning: Dates in calendars are closer than they appear.

* Re: compile warning
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-05-25 11:19 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2001-05-25 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter:

@ 2001-05-25 13:41   ` Peter I. Hansen
From: Peter I. Hansen @ 2001-05-25 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

> Peter:
>
> > Hello I get the following warning when compiling with gnatmake :
> >
> > /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-unknown-freebsd4.3/2.8.1/adalib//libgnat.so:
> > warning: mktemp() possibly used unsafely; consider using mkstemp()
>
> It is most likely related to the risk that temporary files are created
> in a way that allows other users to manipulate the files in dangerous
> ways (like adding backdoors in supposedly secure programs).
>
> Jacob
>
> PS: Rart at se at der er enkelte danske Ada-brugere rundt omkring.
>     Er du med i "Ada i Danmark"?
> --
> Warning: Dates in calendars are closer than they appear.

Ok, that sounds reasonably. But do you know a solution to this problem ? I
have mkstemp on my system.

/Peter

PS: Hejsa. Jeg har ikke h�rt om 'Ada i Danmark' f�r nu. Hvordan kommer jeg
med i det ?

* Re: compile warning
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-05-25 13:44 ` Mark Johnson
From: Mark Johnson @ 2001-05-25 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Peter I. Hansen" wrote:

> Hello I get the following warning when compiling with gnatmake :
>
> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-unknown-freebsd4.3/2.8.1/adalib//libgnat.so:
> warning: mktemp() possibly used unsafely; consider using mkstemp()
>
> I'm on a FreeBSD 4.3.
> What can I do about this ?
>
> /Peter

Ignore it.

This particular problem w/ GNAT has already been reported to them. They do
expect to fix it in a future release of the product. I am running with a
recent "wavefront" (developmental release) on Linux, and get similar
warning messages from the linker.

From reviewing the code - there are several functions that refer to mktemp
or tmpnam and similar items. As far as I can tell - none of them are used
by the run time library unless you explicitly call them yourself.
  --Mark

* Re: compile warning
@ 2001-05-25 15:54     ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2001-05-25 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter:

> Ok, that sounds reasonably. But do you know a solution to this
> problem ?

s/mktemp/mkstemp/ on the GNAT source tree followed by a rebuild?

Since it has been reported to ACT (the "core team") and it isn't
critical (on most systems), I have decided to be patient and
wait and see if it is fixed in the next release.

> PS: Hejsa. Jeg har ikke h�rt om 'Ada i Danmark' f�r nu.
>     Hvordan kommer jeg med i det ?

Du skriver til J�rgen Bundgaard <jb@ddci.dk> og fort�ller ham at
du vil v�re medlem. Hvis du vil have "Ada User Journal" koster
det vist godt 200 DKK/�r. Ellers er det gratis. Der sker ikke
rigtig noget i foreningen, men jeg synes det er vigtigt at have
en forening som kontaktnet, n�r der nu ikke er s� mange Ada-folk
her i landet.

Du m� i �vrigt ogs� gerne tage et kig p�
   http://cvs.sslug.dk/linuxbog/program/bog/anvendelse
der er et kapitel om Ada i en dansk bog om programmering p�
Linux.

Jacob
--
http://hugin.ldraw.org/LEGO/Fly/

* Re: compile warning
@ 2001-05-26  9:51       ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2001-05-26  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre@nbi.dk> writes:

> Since it has been reported to ACT (the "core team") and it isn't
> critical (on most systems), I have decided to be patient and
> wait and see if it is fixed in the next release.

Or you could send a patch. It helps having things fixed more quickly... This
is one possible way with OpenSource software.

Pascal.

--|