From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Ada2005 temp solo child
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:08:06 -0500
Date: 2002-09-13T16:08:06-05:00	[thread overview]

Dr. Michael Paus wrote in message ...
>One might even add that this is common practice in Java for example
(where the
>problem described here does not exist) to make package names globally
unique.
>All my packages are child packages of a hierarchy starting at
"de.ibpaus" and
>these packages are actually empty. Its just Ada which forces me to
write two
>empty dummy packages to satisfy the compiler.

Why would you expect otherwise? The compiler has to look for the
declarations in the parent (in order to determine if the child name is
legal). Ada makes you declare almost everything before use. Why would
this case be different? It doesn't feel much different to me than
saying:

    Int := 10;

and complaining that the compiler shouldn't need a declaration of Int.

               Randy.