From: Stephen Leake <stephen.a.leake.1@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: Evaluating Ada compilers -- any experiences, tips?
Date: 2000/08/03
Date: 2000-08-03T16:49:25+00:00	[thread overview]

mjsilva@my-deja.com writes:

> While we're waiting to see if we've made a convincing argument for
> using Ada in our industrial controller proposal I'm back to looking at
> compilers.  I've sent off info requests to all of the compiler vendors
> I could find, but I'd like to hear any experiences or info (positive or
> negative) with Ada toolsets regarding e.g. compiler quality, support,
> long-term commitment to Ada, etc.

I've been very happy with ACT support for GNAT, and with GNAT itself,
on a Windows NT target.

I've been very unhappy with Aonix support. The Aonix compiler is ok,
but not as good as GNAT. The Aonix debugger is much worse than gdb.

But I strongly suggest you pick a different host. Windows NT boxes
seem cheap, and are somewhat easy to administer. But they crash, and
tools don't work as well. Ask the Ada vendor what their prefered host
is, and get one of those. Then put Emacs on it, and you're all set.

--
-- Stephe