From: David Bolen <db3l@fitlinxx.com>
Subject: Re: Emacs Language Sensitive Editing
Date: 01 Nov 2001 19:50:45 -0500
Date: 2001-11-01T19:50:45-05:00	[thread overview]

> David Bolen <db3l@fitlinxx.com> writes:
>
> [ESC]
>
> > And it works fine over any remote protocols, since it's just a
> > standard individual ASCII code.
>
> Not quite true.  Some keys are represented by escape sequences, and if
> network quality results in delays between the ESC and the following
> characters, funny things can happen.

A valid point, but I've found that more theoretical than realistic in
my experience.  Its really quite rare to have a terminal driver get
confused between autogenerated ESC-prefixed sequences (which almost
invariably end up in a single frame or packet or PDU across the
network or have ms gaps over a serial interface) versus my human
response time key sequence which easily has hundreds of ms between ESC
and the next character.

Besides which most such key sequences have more than ESC in common
(e.g., ESC [) and reduce the chance of collision with something you'd
type.  And making it even less likely is that I rarely use such
special keys in Emacs anyway, since, as you say, I've got Ctrl and
ESC/Meta to perform anything I want.

--
-- David
 \               David Bolen            \   E-mail: db3l@fitlinxx.com  /