From: Stephen Leake <stephen.a.leake.1@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: Calling Ada from C++ (MS Visual C++)
Date: 16 Apr 2002 10:07:43 -0400
Date: 2002-04-16T14:13:59+00:00	[thread overview]

"Karel Miklav" <karel@inetis.removeme.com> writes:

> > Just out of curiosity, why are you using MS C++ instead of Gnu C++?
> > I'll assume it's to get MFC.
>
> I'm considering options to escape from MS world (VC++/VB/scripting/COM/),
> mostly get rid of VC. Is it possible to use Gnu C++ on Windows box as an
> industry-strenght compiler with possibilities to interface to other
> languages like Ada and Eiffel without too much hassle (hassle = 90% of time
> spent on interfacing)?

Interfacing Gnu Ada and Gnu C++ is easier than interfacing Gnu Ada and
non-Gnu C++. Neither is standard; the simplest way is to use C as the
intermediate language. But Gnu Ada does support directly
importing/exporting Gnu C++ classes.

I'm not clear on Eiffel; if it supports exporting functions to Gnu C,
then interfacing it with Gnu Ada will be simple.

"industry-strength" is a very ambiguous term. If you mean "supported
by a strong company with a good rep", then Gnu Ada is
industry-strength. If you mean "comes with lots of widgets that do 90%
of my business GUI app", then no, Gnu Ada is not.

The amount of "hassle" involved in interfacing depends heavily on what
libraries you are interfacing to.

--
-- Stephe