From: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>
Subject: Re: Questions on using prgma Import (C, foo)
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:50:51 -0500
Date: 2008-02-26T08:50:51-05:00	[thread overview]

pfpearson.net@gmail.com writes:

> On Feb 25, 1:28 pm, Pascal Obry <pas...@obry.net> wrote:
>> pfpearson....@gmail.com a �crit :
>>
>> > However, it only took me a minute to realize that this won't work.
>> > I see two options:
>> > 1. function lua_tolstring (...) return System.Adddress;
>> > 2. use the types declared in Interfaces.C.Strings.
>>
>> 2 is better I think:
>>
>>     function lua_tolstring
>>      (L     : lua_State_ptr;
>>       index : inteter;
>>       len   : size_t_ptr) return Interfaces.C.Strings.chars_ptr;
>>
>> Pascal.
>
> That's what I suspected.  Thanks.

You should also consider providing a slightly thicker wrapper that
does the conversion from Interfaces.C.Strings.chars_ptr to
Standard.String; that will make this easier to use with plain Ada
programs.

> Once I've gotten this done, is anyone interested in using this?  Lua
> really is a neat embedded langauge.  I hope to use it at work to
> handle reading in init data, and possibly to script some of the
> program's behavior.

Lua is used by monotone (http://monotone.ca), a distributed
configuration management system, that I'm starting to use. So I'm also
starting to use Lua.

It is a nice languaged, well designed for embedding in larger
projects.

Lua has a website: http://www.lua.org/

I'm not clear on how it manages dynamically allocated memory; that
would be a concern for some embedded systems.

I'm currently using OpenToken to build my own language for controlling
my simulator. That language has no control structures or subroutines.
I might consider switching to Lua to gain those things.

--
-- Stephe