From: "J-P. Rosen" <rosen@adalog.fr>
Subject: Re: Beaujolais Challenge
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 19:39:54 +0100	[thread overview]

Le 10/12/2023 à 00:34, jklsemicolon a écrit :
> More than twenty years ago as high schooler digging into the stacks at a
> community college library, I came across a book on Ada where a chapter epigraph
> referenced a bug bounty where the finder of some variety of bug in the Ada
> language specification would receive a case of wine.  Does this ring any bells?
>   I realize that this is quite vague, but I didn't have the CS background then
> to appreciate what I was reading, and events have taken me quite far from that
> shelf on that day.
>
> ... We all live in a yellow subroutine...

Sure. Ichbiah bet that the addition or removal of a use clause could
cause compilation errors, but could not give a working program with a
different meaning (a different resolution).

John Goodenough came up with such a case (a very contrived case,
involving several levels of generics). I'm not sur that Ichbiah offered
the bottle... The so-called beaujolais effect was fixed in Ada95.
--
J-P. Rosen
Adalog