From: Jeffrey Creem <jeff@thecreems.com>
Subject: Re: TIOBE Programming Community
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 19:15:05 GMT
Date: 2007-12-15T19:15:05+00:00	[thread overview]

Martin Krischik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Well Ada [1] dropped of the edge and fell down to place 24. Place 20 is
> now "Lua" [2]. Note that the TIOBE index not a language index but a
> comunity index. Not Ada as a language is measured but our enthusiasm as Ada
> supporters.
>
> Also intersting is that - by TIOBE definition [3] - all of the first 20
> places (and 21 Logo ?!?) are now "A" level - which again by TIOBE
> definition are considered mainstream languages. (I wonder if they are going
> the change that definition anytime soon).
>
> About a year ago I observed that the top 5 languages comunities are loosing
> ground in favour of smaller languages comunities.
>
> Sad that the Ada comunity could not gain from that trend. Of course we have
> been hobbled because of the shift from usenet to more modern platforms like
> YouTube. Or Google Blogs - which brings me to an idea - maybe I should
> start to blog all my comp.lang.ada posts in Google Blogs.
>
> Martin
>
> [1] http://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index/Ada.html
> [2] http://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index/Lua.html
> [3] http://www.tiobe.com/index.htm?tiobe_index/tpci_definition.htm

I've tried to always get the "programming" on the page with Ada but the
current situation of scoring situation is pretty bogus.

For instance, c++ google returns about 124,000,000 hits
trying c++ programming (no quotes) returns 7,870,000.

Since it is pretty reasonable to assume there are very view hits on c++
that re not about the language, that implies that the current Ada hit
count should be multiplied by about 15.

In any case, I've been in lots of these programming language arguments
and not once has tiobe come up. That is not to say that it is impossible
for it to ever come up. Just saying it is not all that relevant

Or said another way, google for tiobe returns 88,900.
Googling for cnet returns 136,000,000 from which I can only conclude
that tiobe is not a relevant computer site.

Just remember that with the current scoring situation if you want to
care that if you reply to a google blog or YouTube video and want to
talk about Ada that you should say "Ada programming" or the response may
be ignored...Silly.