* New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-26 21:03 Martin Carlisle
From: Martin Carlisle @ 2002-11-26 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

We have completed a port of the GNAT compiler to the .NET framework,
which is based on the ACT tool JGNAT.  More information and downloads
available from http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/a_sharp.html

This tool will be presented at SIGAda 2002 in Houston, TX, USA, on 11
December 2002.

Martin C. Carlisle, PhD
Associate Professor and Advisor-in-Charge
Department of Computer Science
United States Air Force Academy
DISCLAIMER:  Opinions contained in this message are those of the author,
and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Air Force Academy,
US Air Force, or US Government.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-26 21:28 ` Pascal Obry
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Pascal Obry @ 2002-11-26 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Martin Carlisle" <carlislem.news.invalid@web2news.net> writes:

> We have completed a port of the GNAT compiler to the .NET framework,

Congratulations !

> which is based on the ACT tool JGNAT.  More information and downloads
> available from http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/a_sharp.html

I can't access this server. Is it just me ?

Pascal.

--|

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-26 22:23   ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 2002-11-26 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry <p.obry@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> > which is based on the ACT tool JGNAT.  More information and downloads
> > available from http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/a_sharp.html
>
> I can't access this server. Is it just me ?

Downloading it, so it's there now.

--
--  Jerry van Dijk   | email: jvandyk@attglobal.net
--  Leiden, Holland  | web:   users.ncrvnet.nl/gmvdijk

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-27  3:23 ` Richard Riehle
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Richard Riehle @ 2002-11-27  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Carlisle wrote:

> We have completed a port of the GNAT compiler to the .NET framework,
> which is based on the ACT tool JGNAT.  More information and downloads
> available from http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/a_sharp.html

Nice going, Martin.   We will use it at NPS as soon as I can get a copy
and turn some students loose on it.

BTW, this month's issue of PC Magazine has an article on .NET in
which they mention languages targeted to the platform.  Someone
might want to write a letter to the editor reminding the magazine
that Ada is also supported on .NET.

Richard Riehle

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-27  4:02 ` William J. Thomas
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: William J. Thomas @ 2002-11-27  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> We have completed a port of the GNAT compiler to the .NET framework,
> which is based on the ACT tool JGNAT.

Bless you. It appears there is still hope!

WJT

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-11-27  4:19 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2002-11-27  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does the comment "Note that MGNAT must be compiled using GNAT 3.13p" on the
A# web page mean that 3.14p and 3.15p will not work, or should it say
3.14p or later?

"Martin Carlisle" <carlislem.news.invalid@web2news.net> wrote in message
> We have completed a port of the GNAT compiler to the .NET framework,
> which is based on the ACT tool JGNAT.  More information and downloads
> available from http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/a_sharp.html
>
> This tool will be presented at SIGAda 2002 in Houston, TX, USA, on 11
> December 2002.

> Martin C. Carlisle, PhD
> Associate Professor and Advisor-in-Charge
> Department of Computer Science
> United States Air Force Academy
> DISCLAIMER:  Opinions contained in this message are those of the author,
> and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Air Force Academy,
> US Air Force, or US Government.
> --

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-27  8:30     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2002-11-27  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jerry van Dijk <jvandyk@attglobal.net> writes:

> Pascal Obry <p.obry@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
> > > which is based on the ACT tool JGNAT.  More information and downloads
> > > available from http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/a_sharp.html
> >
> > I can't access this server. Is it just me ?
>
> Downloading it, so it's there now.

I still can't, and it seems that it is the sever I can't access! Quite strange!

Pascal.

--|

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-27 12:48   ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2002-11-27 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal:

> I can't access this server. Is it just me ?

The server selectively accepts connections -
there are also known problems for accessing AdaGIDE.
Maybe a mirror would fill the gap - ideally those which
mirror AdaGIDE...

G.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-27 17:31   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-11-27 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry <p.obry@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message news:<uu1i4kokr.fsf@wanadoo.fr>...
> "Martin Carlisle" <carlislem.news.invalid@web2news.net> writes:
> > which is based on the ACT tool JGNAT.  More information and downloads
> > available from http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/a_sharp.html
>
> I can't access this server. Is it just me ?

Wasn't there a thread recently about people on foreign domains not
being able to access .mil sites anymore? That may be the problem here
too. (sigh)

Just yesterday I was told that free trial downloads of the SoftIce
debugger for NT  device drivers (NT kernel-mode debugger) were no
longer available because the government is afraid of terrorists using
it. Not one person has ever been proven killed by computers under the
control of malicous coders, while there are quite a few incidents of
buggy code killing people unintentionally. If we were *really*
concered about hacker-terrorists, or even computers causing meyhem in
general, we should be discouraging unsafe languages like C, not
debuggers.

I know we in the US have no monopoly on bueracratic stupidity, but we
do seem to be developing quite a panache for it.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-27 18:12 Soeren.Henssel-Rasmussen
From: Soeren.Henssel-Rasmussen @ 2002-11-27 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

To: TED & Pascal

Access to Martin's page(s) and download the .NET A# files is not a problem from Denmark. Could have been a temporary problem somewhere - at both ends?

/soren
Søren Henssel-Rasmussen
Senior Software Engineer
Nokia Mobile Phones, Copenhagen R&D/SW

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-27 18:37     ` chris.danx
                       ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: chris.danx @ 2002-11-27 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison wrote:

> Just yesterday I was told that free trial downloads of the SoftIce
> debugger for NT  device drivers (NT kernel-mode debugger) were no
> longer available because the government is afraid of terrorists using
> it. Not one person has ever been proven killed by computers under the
> control of malicous coders, while there are quite a few incidents of
> buggy code killing people unintentionally.

That didn't stop them...

for personal replies change spamoff to chris

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-27 18:39       ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2002-11-27 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

chris.danx wrote:

> That didn't stop them...

oops... should be

That didn't stop them making an arse of it...

@ 2002-11-27 18:57 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2002-11-27 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

<Soeren.Henssel-Rasmussen@nokia.com> writes:

> To: TED & Pascal
>
> Access to Martin's page(s) and download the .NET A# files is not a problem
> from Denmark. Could have been a temporary problem somewhere - at both ends?

No I still can't... It would be nice to have this mirrored somewhere... Maybe
a .NET page at AdaPower, David ?

Pascal.

--|

* RE: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-28  2:46     ` Robert C. Leif
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert C. Leif @ 2002-11-28  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Software is not alone in this policy. I have attended two talks by Dr.
John H. Marburger, III, Science Adviser to the President and Director of
the Office of Science and Technology Policy. He stressed that the
molecular biologists and microbiologists should be careful on what we
publish. Now, we should ask ourselves, what language would we use for
any significant weapon or system that requires high reliability and how
simple is it to obtain an excellent compiler? I do not know a good
solution to the tradeoff between advancing our software technology and
security.
Bob Leif

> > which is based on the ACT tool JGNAT.  More information and
downloads
> > available from
http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/a_sharp.html

> I can't access this server. Is it just me ?

Wasn't there a thread recently about people on foreign domains not
being able to access .mil sites anymore? That may be the problem here
too. (sigh)

Just yesterday I was told that free trial downloads of the SoftIce
debugger for NT  device drivers (NT kernel-mode debugger) were no
longer available because the government is afraid of terrorists using
it. Not one person has ever been proven killed by computers under the
control of malicous coders, while there are quite a few incidents of
buggy code killing people unintentionally. If we were *really*
concered about hacker-terrorists, or even computers causing meyhem in
general, we should be discouraging unsafe languages like C, not
debuggers.

I know we in the US have no monopoly on bueracratic stupidity, but we
do seem to be developing quite a panache for it.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-11-28  9:01 ` Ingo Marks
From: Ingo Marks @ 2002-11-28  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Carlisle wrote:

> We have completed a port of the GNAT compiler to the .NET framework,
> which is based on the ACT tool JGNAT.  More information and downloads
> available from http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/a_sharp.html
>
> This tool will be presented at SIGAda 2002 in Houston, TX, USA, on 11
> December 2002.

Great work!

Nice idea to name it A#. So it will be always on top of the list of the
languages supported by .NET (if alphabetically sorted, of course :-)

Many thanks and regards,
Ingo

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-28 11:39       ` Dr. Michael Paus
From: Dr. Michael Paus @ 2002-11-28 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry wrote:

> Jerry van Dijk  writes:
>

> >Pascal Obry

> >>I can't access this server. Is it just me ?
> >
> >Downloading it, so it's there now.
>

> I still can't, and it seems that it is the sever I can't access! Quite strange!

Neither can I! I raised the issue of accessing *.mil servers some time ago and
this is still an unsolved problem. It seems as if there are some filters set up
which prevent certain people from accessing these military sites, but I have not
yet been able to find out what the rules for these filters are.

It does not seem to be a regional problem because I could neither access these sites
from my office in Stuttgart nor from EADS in Munich, although a friend of mine
from the University of Stuttgart did not have such a problem.

Until these problems are solved it is not a good idea to publish open material on
military servers if you want to reach a broad audiance.

Michael

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-28 11:41     ` Dr. Michael Paus
From: Dr. Michael Paus @ 2002-11-28 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison wrote:

> Pascal Obry
>
>  wrote in message news:...
>
> >"Martin Carlisle"  writes:
> >
> >>which is based on the ACT tool JGNAT.  More information and downloads
> >>available from http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/a_sharp.html
> >
> >I can't access this server. Is it just me ?
>

> Wasn't there a thread recently about people on foreign domains not
> being able to access .mil sites anymore? That may be the problem here
> too. (sigh)

Yes, this is the problem. See my posting above.

Michael

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-28 12:32       ` John English
From: John English @ 2002-11-28 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Dr. Michael Paus" wrote:

> Ted Dennison wrote:
>
> > Wasn't there a thread recently about people on foreign domains not
> > being able to access .mil sites anymore? That may be the problem here
> > too. (sigh)
> >
> Yes, this is the problem. See my posting above.

It's not all foreign domains -- I can access it from the UK. (Maybe
it's because Blair is willing to go to war with Iraq but Germany
isn't? :-)

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-11-28 14:06     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-11-28 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison wrote:
> Just yesterday I was told that free trial downloads of the SoftIce
> debugger for NT  device drivers (NT kernel-mode debugger) were no
> longer available because the government is afraid of terrorists using
> it. Not one person has ever been proven killed by computers under the

Nowadays everything gets the label terrorism or terrorist wheter it is
correct or not. It is overused by far. And USA is becoming more and more
like the USSR now that laws are passed to allow 24 hour surveillance of
the inhabitants and that one cannot critizise the "war on terror".

--
Preben Randhol ------------------------ http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
                          �1984 is soon coming to a computer near you.�

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-28 14:26           ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2002-11-28 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <as59m8$o77$1@news.online.de>, "Dr. Michael Paus" <paus@ib-paus.com> writes:

> No, it is not a matter of countries. As I wrote in my previous post
> a friend of mine here in Stuttgart can access these servers but I can't.
>
> I'd be happy if someone could tell me according to which rule some people
> are locked out and others aren't.

They programmed it in C ?

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-28 14:36         ` Dr. Michael Paus
From: Dr. Michael Paus @ 2002-11-28 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-11-28 15:12     ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2002-11-28 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message

> Just yesterday I was told that free trial downloads of the SoftIce
> debugger for NT  device drivers (NT kernel-mode debugger) were no
> longer available because the government is afraid of terrorists using
> it. Not one person has ever been proven killed by computers under the
> control of malicous coders, while there are quite a few incidents of
> buggy code killing people unintentionally. If we were *really*
> concered about hacker-terrorists, or even computers causing meyhem in
> general, we should be discouraging unsafe languages like C, not
> debuggers.

In fairness, you might consider that they might not be so much concerned
with terrorists killing people with software as they might have a concern
about terrorists using the software to disrupt computers and cause havoc.
Note the amount of damage that has been caused in the past by cyberpunks
spreading viruses, etc., costing large sums of money and other intangible
losses to businesses. I don't know about SoftIce and what it does, so it
might or might not present a threat and the government might or might not be
acting stupidly. Its just that there are more ways to hurt people than
simply blowing them up.

OTOH, if its a readily available commercial product, taking it off the
internet isn't really doing much to stop the dedicated, well funded,
professional terrorist, is it? Maybe just reducing the risk of nefarious use
by cyberpunks - which might be a wise objective. But it does seem a little
like closing the barn door after the horses have all run off. We'd be far
wiser to fund the development of a much more secure OS and reduce the ways
in which cyberpunks or terrorists can do damage. (Maybe we can get a
government contract under the auspices of "Homeland Defense"? :-)

MDC
Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jast.mil/

Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ a c m . o r g

    "I'd trade it all for just a little more"
        --  Charles Montgomery Burns, [4F10]

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-28 15:19   ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2002-11-28 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Riehle <richard@adaworks.com> wrote in message

> BTW, this month's issue of PC Magazine has an article on .NET in
> which they mention languages targeted to the platform.  Someone
> might want to write a letter to the editor reminding the magazine
> that Ada is also supported on .NET.

Or write them an article on how it was done. This is a case where people
with interests in something else would gain exposure to Ada because its not
so much an article saying "Ada is cool" as it is saying ".NET is cool and
here is how we made Ada useful in that domain."

@ 2002-11-28 16:26       ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-11-28 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic <mcondic.auntie.spam@acm.org> wrote:

: Note the amount of damage that has been caused in the past by cyberpunks
: spreading viruses, etc., costing large sums of money and other intangible
: losses to businesses.

Yes, but just hiding things by removing the possibility
of access with a debugger contradicts everything the OS
guys tell you about system security. They tell you, again
and again, that the only way of testing and improving the
security of a system is exposing its mechanism to attackers.
Anything else is a delusion, false security. If a system
cannot be protected from a debugger, then either the
administration has forgotten to separate developement
systems from production systems, or the system's
security parts are severly flawed, aren't they?

So, indeed, as you say,

: We'd be far
: wiser to fund the development of a much more secure OS and reduce the ways
: in which cyberpunks or terrorists can do damage. (Maybe we can get a
: government contract under the auspices of "Homeland Defense"? :-)

(Hey, some of my best friends are punks, though leftist,
yet ingenious business people, and some of them are
securing servers for US companies, much to the satisfaction
of their employers, installing tar pits etc. :-)

-- georg

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-11-28 16:45 ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2002-11-28 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> We have completed a port of the GNAT compiler to the .NET framework,
> which is based on the ACT tool JGNAT.  More information and downloads
> available from http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/a_sharp.html

BTW:
Make sure to announce it on the .NET forums! It's a perfect opportunity for
preaching to others than the choir...

           J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-28 17:56         ` Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
From: Warren W. Gay VE3WWG @ 2002-11-28 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dr. Michael Paus wrote:
> Pascal Obry wrote:
>
>> Jerry van Dijk  writes:
>>

>> >Pascal Obry

>> >Downloading it, so it's there now.
>>

>> I still can't, and it seems that it is the sever I can't access! Quite
>> strange!
>>
> Neither can I! I raised the issue of accessing *.mil servers some time
> ago and
> this is still an unsolved problem. It seems as if there are some filters
> set up
> which prevent certain people from accessing these military sites, but I
> have not
> yet been able to find out what the rules for these filters are.

Is strictly a name server error or a TCP/IP issue?  If its just a name
server problem, try by IP # directly:

Name:    atlas.usafa.af.mil
Address:  204.34.211.88
Aliases:  www.usafa.af.mil

--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-28 18:03       ` Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
From: Warren W. Gay VE3WWG @ 2002-11-28 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert C. Leif wrote:
> Software is not alone in this policy. I have attended two talks by Dr.
> John H. Marburger, III, Science Adviser to the President and Director of
> the Office of Science and Technology Policy. He stressed that the
> molecular biologists and microbiologists should be careful on what we
> publish. Now, we should ask ourselves, what language would we use for
> any significant weapon or system that requires high reliability and how
> simple is it to obtain an excellent compiler? I do not know a good
> solution to the tradeoff between advancing our software technology and
> security.
> Bob Leif

I suppose that if the terrorist had to use C/C++ to make a bomb, there
would be a greater chance of it blowing up in their face ;-)

--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-28 22:21           ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2002-11-28 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Warren W. Gay VE3WWG" <ve3wwg@cogeco.ca> writes:

> Is strictly a name server error or a TCP/IP issue?  If its just a name
> server problem, try by IP # directly:
>
> Name:    atlas.usafa.af.mil
> Address:  204.34.211.88
> Aliases:  www.usafa.af.mil

I can't access the server using the name and alias, but I can using the IP
address!

Thanks a lot.

Pascal.

--|

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-29  2:23     ` Richard Riehle
From: Richard Riehle @ 2002-11-29  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic wrote:

> Richard Riehle <richard@adaworks.com> wrote in message
> >
> > BTW, this month's issue of PC Magazine has an article on .NET in
> > which they mention languages targeted to the platform.  Someone
> > might want to write a letter to the editor reminding the magazine
> > that Ada is also supported on .NET.
> >

> Or write them an article on how it was done. This is a case where people
> with interests in something else would gain exposure to Ada because its not
> so much an article saying "Ada is cool" as it is saying ".NET is cool and
> here is how we made Ada useful in that domain."

Good response, Marin.  I've been looking for an idea for my next article.

Richard

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-29  3:00           ` Moe
From: Moe @ 2002-11-29  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you are from a domain (or using an IP from an ISP) that a hack attempt
came from, you will not be able to access their servers.

"Dr. Michael Paus" <paus@ib-paus.com> wrote in message
> John English wrote:

> > >Yes, this is the problem. See my posting above.
> >

> > It's not all foreign domains -- I can access it from the UK. (Maybe
> > it's because Blair is willing to go to war with Iraq but Germany
> > isn't? :-)
>

> No, it is not a matter of countries. As I wrote in my previous post
> a friend of mine here in Stuttgart can access these servers but I can't.
>
> I'd be happy if someone could tell me according to which rule some people
> are locked out and others aren't.
>
> Michael

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-29  8:22             ` Dr. Michael Paus
From: Dr. Michael Paus @ 2002-11-29  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry wrote:

> "Warren W. Gay VE3WWG"  writes:
>

> >Is strictly a name server error or a TCP/IP issue?  If its just a name
> >server problem, try by IP # directly:
> >
> >Name:    atlas.usafa.af.mil
> >Address:  204.34.211.88
> >Aliases:  www.usafa.af.mil
>

> I can't access the server using the name and alias, but I can using the IP
> address!

Good luck for you, but I still can't access it. Not even ping 204.34.211.88
works. A traceroot returns:

 >tracert 204.34.211.88

Routenverfolgung zu atlas.usafa.af.mil [204.34.211.88]  über maximal 30 Abschnit
te:

   1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.1.32
   2    63 ms    58 ms    59 ms  217.5.98.32
   3    58 ms    57 ms    57 ms  217.237.152.246
   4   145 ms   145 ms   147 ms  NYC-gw14.USA.net.DTAG.DE [62.156.131.146]
   5   147 ms   147 ms   147 ms  194.25.6.238
   6   147 ms   147 ms   147 ms  jfk-core-03.inet.qwest.net [205.171.230.26]
   7   152 ms   153 ms   155 ms  dca-core-03.inet.qwest.net [205.171.8.218]
   8   186 ms   187 ms   188 ms  iah-core-01.inet.qwest.net [205.171.5.186]
   9   186 ms   185 ms   185 ms  iah-core-02.inet.qwest.net [205.171.31.2]
  10   186 ms   185 ms   185 ms  iah-edge-01.inet.qwest.net [205.171.31.46]
  11   190 ms   195 ms   190 ms  63.145.97.18
  12   298 ms   208 ms   191 ms  198.26.123.34
  13   209 ms   210 ms   209 ms  33.250.27.2
  14     *        *        *     Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
  15     *        *        *     Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
  16     *        *        *     Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
  17  ^C

* RE: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-29 20:25         ` Robert C. Leif
From: Robert C. Leif @ 2002-11-29 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes! Or if you are a pessimist, the US DoD uses C++ and the enemy uses
Ada. Unfortunately, there is ample precedent for this. The Germans used
General De Gaulle's writings on tank warfare to invade France. The US
invented the aircraft carrier; and the Japanese used them at Pearl
Harbor.
Bob Leif

       [not found] <000201c297e5$6e405510$789a0844@robertqgx6k4x9>
@ 2002-11-29 21:49 ` sk
From: sk @ 2002-11-29 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 > ... The US invented the aircraft carrier; ...

Are you sure ? Meaning flat deck runways etc ?

... of course I have also met a few people
who believe that trains and railroads aswell
as the industrial revolution didn't happen
until after 1776 :-)

-- For real address, merge vertically
-------------------
-- s n p @ t . o
--  k i e k c c m
-------------------

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-11-30 14:00           ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-11-30 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert C. Leif <rleif@rleif.com> wrote:
: Yes! Or if you are a pessimist, the US DoD uses C++ and the enemy uses
: Ada.

So, given the US presidents logic, anyone who doesn't use the
language the US DoD uses isn't with the US and therefore is
against the US. So if I use Ada, I am against the US. Interesting :-)

-- georg

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-01  0:27         ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2002-12-01  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Anything else is a delusion, false security.
So?  We're talking politics here, not reality.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-01  9:25   ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2002-12-01  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jean-Pierre Rosen" <rosen@adalog.fr> wrote in message news:<as5h28$81n$1@s1.read.news.oleane.net>...
> > We have completed a port of the GNAT compiler to the .NET framework,
> > which is based on the ACT tool JGNAT.  More information and downloads
> > available from http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/a_sharp.html
> >
> BTW:
> Make sure to announce it on the .NET forums! It's a perfect opportunity for
> preaching to others than the choir...

Also, it might be an idea to get a link on sites like www.programmersheaven.com

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-01 13:22           ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-12-01 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote:
:> Anything else is a delusion, false security.
: So?  We're talking politics here, not reality.
If only the two could be separated :-)

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-01 19:02           ` Richard Riehle
From: Richard Riehle @ 2002-12-01 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert C. Leif" wrote:

> Yes! Or if you are a pessimist, the US DoD uses C++ and the enemy uses
> Ada. Unfortunately, there is ample precedent for this. The Germans used
> General De Gaulle's writings on tank warfare to invade France. The US
> invented the aircraft carrier; and the Japanese used them at Pearl
> Harbor.
> Bob Leif

Interesting note, Robert.  A couple of years ago we received a request
for Ada training from Iran.    Every now and then, we get a request
from some other potential enemy.  We don't do training for these
countries, but the fact that they are doing projects in Ada is amusing.
My little booklet, Ada Distilled, has been downloaded by people from
all over the world including many places in the Middle East.  GNAT
compilers are also being downloaded from a lot of places we don't
have particularly friendly relations.   Hmmmmmmm.  I wonder if
the copy of GNAT in North Korea is being used for nuclear
weapons construction?

Richard Riehle

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-02 17:19             ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2002-12-02 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> :> Anything else is a delusion, false security.
> : So?  We're talking politics here, not reality.
> If only the two could be separated :-)
Seems to me politics and reality are very separate.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-02 23:01             ` Adam Kingsl
From: Adam Kingsl @ 2002-12-02 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Few years ago I've heard a story from one guy, at that time Ph.D student who
went to Iran to teach Control Systems Theory. Amusing thing was that his
contract was terminated 1 month earlier because, as he believed, he used his
lectures to carry political propaganda. Despite that fact he was PAID IN
FULL and some g-nt official escorted him to airport after that and made sure
that he will live unchecked (no stamps in his passport) for "his own good".
Why would anyone abuse his student's trust in him as an engineer for
religious "propaganda" ?
I think instead of declaring them enemies we would help them to catch up
with technologies so they won't feel like living in dark ages and consider
rest of the world to be more of friends than of "Americans" ?

> "Robert C. Leif" wrote:
>
> > Yes! Or if you are a pessimist, the US DoD uses C++ and the enemy uses
> > Ada. Unfortunately, there is ample precedent for this. The Germans used
> > General De Gaulle's writings on tank warfare to invade France. The US
> > invented the aircraft carrier; and the Japanese used them at Pearl
> > Harbor.
> > Bob Leif
>
> Interesting note, Robert.  A couple of years ago we received a request
> for Ada training from Iran.    Every now and then, we get a request
> from some other potential enemy.  We don't do training for these
> countries, but the fact that they are doing projects in Ada is amusing.
> My little booklet, Ada Distilled, has been downloaded by people from
> all over the world including many places in the Middle East.  GNAT
> compilers are also being downloaded from a lot of places we don't
> have particularly friendly relations.   Hmmmmmmm.  I wonder if
> the copy of GNAT in North Korea is being used for nuclear
> weapons construction?
>
> Richard Riehle

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-02 23:46               ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-12-02 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Groleau <wesgroleau@despammed.com> wrote:
:
:> :> Anything else is a delusion, false security.
:> : So?  We're talking politics here, not reality.
:> If only the two could be separated :-)
: Seems to me politics and reality are very separate.
package whatever is
   -- how does politics have access to/from reality?
   type reality;
   type politics (law_n_tax: access reality) is limited private;
   type reality (defying_p: access politics) is abstract
     tagged limited null record;

private
   type politics (law_n_tax: access reality) is
      limited record
         null;
      end record;

end whatever;

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-05 11:15               ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-12-05 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Kingsl wrote:

> "propaganda" ?  I think instead of declaring them enemies we would
> help them to catch up with technologies so they won't feel like living
> in dark ages and consider rest of the world to be more of friends than
> of "Americans" ?

Perhaps rather ask the questions:

   "Why do so many people hate America."
   "What have America done to the world."

--

@ 2002-12-05 18:45                 ` Christopher Campbell
From: Christopher Campbell @ 2002-12-05 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:

> Perhaps rather ask the questions:
>
>    "Why do so many people hate America."
>    "What have America done to the world."

What about overthrow legitimate democratic goverments and put in
dictators like the Shah for the sole purpose of securing access to oil?
   Promote huge companies screwing the entire planet by patenting genes
and other medical advances?  Tossing aside global treaties jepordising
international stability (such as it is) to make money (defend themselves
from nuclear attacks my arse)?  Training our Prime Minister to be more
like a compliant puppy than a leader?

Putting money above peoples lives and screwing the little guy at every
turn?  Messing in other countries internal affairs and forcing US law on
non-US nations?  Promoting the sue and screw culture?  Starting wars
with people for money and oil, oh and for his daddy?

Nice people, shame about the government.

Chris

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-05 19:06                   ` James S. Rogers
From: James S. Rogers @ 2002-12-05 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Christopher Campbell" <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Preben Randhol wrote:
>
> > Perhaps rather ask the questions:
> >
> >    "Why do so many people hate America."
> >    "What have America done to the world."
>
> What about overthrow legitimate democratic goverments and put in
> dictators like the Shah for the sole purpose of securing access to oil?
>    Promote huge companies screwing the entire planet by patenting genes
> and other medical advances?  Tossing aside global treaties jepordising
> international stability (such as it is) to make money (defend themselves
> from nuclear attacks my arse)?  Training our Prime Minister to be more
> like a compliant puppy than a leader?
>
> Putting money above peoples lives and screwing the little guy at every
> turn?  Messing in other countries internal affairs and forcing US law on
> non-US nations?  Promoting the sue and screw culture?  Starting wars
> with people for money and oil, oh and for his daddy?
>

> Nice people, shame about the government.

Gee, sounds like the British Government from King George IV
through 1935.

Jim Rogers

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-05 20:01                 ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2002-12-05 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:
> Perhaps rather ask the questions:
>    "Why do so many people hate America."
>    "What have America done to the world."

America has shown the world that it is possible to live in
peace, freedom, prosperity, responsibility, and happiness.
As always, there are those who look at this example and
decide that they too wish to live this way and begin work
to attain it, and others who look at this with fear, envy,
and resentment and who would destroy it for the unbearable
meanness of their own existence.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-06 12:52                   ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2002-12-06 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

This really isn't the forum for political diatribes of any stripe. This
thread ought to get back on target saying something about Ada and/or .NET.
Thanks.

MDC
Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jast.mil/

Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ a c m . o r g

    "I'd trade it all for just a little more"
        --  Charles Montgomery Burns, [4F10]

Christopher Campbell <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Preben Randhol wrote:
>
> > Perhaps rather ask the questions:
> >
> >    "Why do so many people hate America."
> >    "What have America done to the world."
>
> What about overthrow legitimate democratic goverments and put in
> dictators like the Shah for the sole purpose of securing access to oil?
>    Promote huge companies screwing the entire planet by patenting genes
> and other medical advances?  Tossing aside global treaties jepordising
> international stability (such as it is) to make money (defend themselves
> from nuclear attacks my arse)?  Training our Prime Minister to be more
> like a compliant puppy than a leader?
>
> Putting money above peoples lives and screwing the little guy at every
> turn?  Messing in other countries internal affairs and forcing US law on
> non-US nations?  Promoting the sue and screw culture?  Starting wars
> with people for money and oil, oh and for his daddy?
>

> Nice people, shame about the government.
>

> Chris

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-06 13:18                   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-12-06 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hyman Rosen wrote:
> America has shown the world that it is possible to live in
> peace, freedom, prosperity, responsibility, and happiness.

Is this cut and paste from a Bush speech? No, I won't comment it. But
speaking of freedom in the US, perhaps read the latest laws passed and
this: http://cryptome.org/tia-queeg.htm.

--

@ 2002-12-06 14:47                     ` Safety Group
From: Safety Group @ 2002-12-06 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the spirit of getting this thread back on track...

Has anyone any very simple .net forms code for A# that they could share?

I tries the tests in mgnat and got an error that told me my files in
mgnat/include were out of date. I ran the compile file and all was then OK.
Should I have done any rebuilding?

Thanks
Gareth Baker
G.J.Baker@dl.ac.uk

"Marin David Condic" <mcondic.auntie.spam@acm.org> wrote in message
> This really isn't the forum for political diatribes of any stripe. This
> thread ought to get back on target saying something about Ada and/or .NET.
> Thanks.
>
> MDC
> --
> Marin David Condic
> I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
> My project is: http://www.jast.mil/
>
> Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ a c m . o r g
>
>     "I'd trade it all for just a little more"
>         --  Charles Montgomery Burns, [4F10]
>
> Christopher Campbell <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > Preben Randhol wrote:
> >
> > > Perhaps rather ask the questions:
> > >
> > >    "Why do so many people hate America."
> > >    "What have America done to the world."
> >
> > What about overthrow legitimate democratic goverments and put in
> > dictators like the Shah for the sole purpose of securing access to oil?
> >    Promote huge companies screwing the entire planet by patenting genes
> > and other medical advances?  Tossing aside global treaties jepordising
> > international stability (such as it is) to make money (defend themselves
> > from nuclear attacks my arse)?  Training our Prime Minister to be more
> > like a compliant puppy than a leader?
> >
> > Putting money above peoples lives and screwing the little guy at every
> > turn?  Messing in other countries internal affairs and forcing US law on
> > non-US nations?  Promoting the sue and screw culture?  Starting wars
> > with people for money and oil, oh and for his daddy?
> >

> > Nice people, shame about the government.
> >

> > Chris

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-06 15:08                     ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2002-12-06 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:
> Is this cut and paste from a Bush speech? No, I won't comment it. But
> speaking of freedom in the US, perhaps read the latest laws passed and
> this: http://cryptome.org/tia-queeg.htm.

I believe that this is perfectly appropriate, not only for the
government to do, but also for advertisers, marketers, or anyone
else who wants to. I believe that it is immoral and nonsensical
to restrict what someone may do with their intelligence combined
with available public information. It is as if someone were to
legislate that certain mathematical theorems could not be used
in proofs without a judge's approval!

It's very simple. If you buy something, unless you have made a
contract specifying otherwise, your purchase is not a secret. If
you walk around in a public street, anyone is free to follow you
and look at what you do.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-06 15:35                       ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-12-06 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hyman Rosen wrote:
> It's very simple. If you buy something, unless you have made a
> contract specifying otherwise, your purchase is not a secret. If
> you walk around in a public street, anyone is free to follow you
> and look at what you do.

What about when you talk on your phone in your home?  Or peek into your
bedroom in evenings/night? Where do you draw the line of privacy? Not
everybody wants to be in Big Brother.

Another point is that how do you know that such a system isn't abused.
Industrial espionage for example.

--

@ 2002-12-06 15:39                       ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-12-06 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hyman Rosen wrote:

> I believe that this is perfectly appropriate, not only for the
> government to do, but also for advertisers, marketers, or anyone
> else who wants to. I believe that it is immoral and nonsensical
> to restrict what someone may do with their intelligence combined
> with available public information. It is as if someone were to
> legislate that certain mathematical theorems could not be used
> in proofs without a judge's approval!

I don't understand your point. You mean that sending an e-mail from one
person to another is public information? If so then why isn't sending
letters, doing phone calls this too? The new laws in the US does not
concern public available information, but 24 hour surveilance of all
from bank accounts to e-mails etc... of American citizens.

--

@ 2002-12-06 15:51                       ` Christopher Campbell
From: Christopher Campbell @ 2002-12-06 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hyman Rosen wrote:

> It's very simple. If you buy something, unless you have made a
> contract specifying otherwise, your purchase is not a secret. If
> you walk around in a public street, anyone is free to follow you
> and look at what you do.

That's called stalking and is an offense where I come from!  Also do you
  want me to peek at your stuff?  If so give me your password for your
home computer right now.  You have nothing to hide so what's the harm?
Give me your works password too.  You're employers have nothing to hide
so where's the harm?

Also give me your credit card details, you're bank account details,
passwords for shopping accounts on line and what not.  After all there's
no harm in it is there?

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-06 16:19                         ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2002-12-06 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:
> What about when you talk on your phone in your home?

I'm not sure what the status of the law on this is.
But generally, listening to these phone calls requires
physical access to wires, and so requires the consent
of the owners of those wires. Prudent people with secrets
to hide don't speak of them openly in telephone calls.
They certainly don't use cell phones, which broadcast
their signals for all to hear.

> Or peek into your bedroom in evenings/night?

That's why curtains exist.

> Where do you draw the line of privacy?

If I wish something to be private, it's my job to not
do it publicly.

> Another point is that how do you know that such a system isn't abused.

There is no such thing as abuse of public information.
It's like the GPL. If I want to use free software to help
in the making bombs, that's perfectly fine.

> Industrial espionage for example.

As long as the information is publicly available,
that's perfectly fine.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-06 16:27                         ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2002-12-06 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:
> You mean that sending an e-mail from one
> person to another is public information?

Certainly. An e-mail is sent out in plain text over
packet-switched networks. It is exactly like sending
a post-card. Anyone handling it may read it.

 > If so then why isn't sending letters, doing phone
 > calls this too?

Letters are sealed. Conventional phone calls happen
over wires, to which access is restricted by private
property laws. Phone companies have generally agreed,
or been bound by law, to not eavesdrop, but otherwise
there would be nothing wrong with them doing so.

 > The new laws in the US does not concern public available
 > information, but 24 hour surveilance of all from bank
 > accounts to e-mails etc... of American citizens.

As I said above, it's unreasonable to expect privacy in
e-mail when you broadcast it in plain text. Banks already
have to report various transactions to the government,
and citizens already have to report on various aspects of
their financial life in the same way, mostly for tax
collection purposes.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-06 16:34                           ` Christopher Campbell
From: Christopher Campbell @ 2002-12-06 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hyman Rosen wrote:
> Preben Randhol wrote:
>
>> Or peek into your bedroom in evenings/night?
>

> That's why curtains exist.

And if you wheren't allowed to have curtains, would you be happy with
some peeping Tom watching what you and you're wife got up to with no
comeback on the guy whose taping it?

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-06 16:41                         ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2002-12-06 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christopher Campbell wrote:
> That's called stalking and is an offense where I come from!

You must not come from Seattle, Washington, where the State
Supreme Court ruled that taking so-called "upskirt" pictures
of women in public places is legal.

 > Also do you want me to peek at your stuff?

You may peek at any of my public stuff.

> If so give me your password for your home computer right now.

No. You may not enter my apartment either.

> You have nothing to hide so what's the harm?

Whether or not I have anything to hide is irrelevant.
You are forbidden from breaking in to my home or my
computer even if there is nothing there worth finding.
You are permitted to inform everyone that you saw me
flirting in the gay bar if you happen to see me there,
even if this would cost me my marriage and my job.

> Also give me your credit card details,  you're bank account
 > details, passwords for shopping accounts on line and what not.
 > After all there's no harm in it is there?

It's "your", noy "you're", which is a contraction of "you are".

My credit card details are already moderately public, since I
give them to any merchant from whom I am purchasing. I will
not post them to a wide forum since they are likely to be used
by someone to make fraudulent transactions which will cause
inconveience to me and to the provider. I will not reveal any
passwords since they are used to prevent other people from
masquerading as me and making such transactions.

If they wanted to, the merchants could make these details public,
but it would be silly of them to do so.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-06 16:46                           ` Christopher Campbell
From: Christopher Campbell @ 2002-12-06 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

QED!

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-06 17:02                           ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-12-06 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hyman Rosen wrote:
> As I said above, it's unreasonable to expect privacy in
> e-mail when you broadcast it in plain text. Banks already
> have to report various transactions to the government,
> and citizens already have to report on various aspects of
> their financial life in the same way, mostly for tax
> collection purposes.

I think you need to read the laws passed in your own country.

--

@ 2002-12-06 18:10                             ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2002-12-06 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christopher Campbell wrote:
> And if you wheren't allowed to have curtains

Then I would be unhappy. But in general, we are not talking
about forbidding curtains, we are talking about requiring
people to avert their eyes. That's quite different, and that's
the constraint under which government agencies now operate.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-06 18:13                             ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2002-12-06 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:
> I think you need to read the laws passed in your own country.

Would you care to specify which ones?
There are too many to read all of them.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-06 18:16                             ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2002-12-06 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christopher Campbell wrote:
> QED!

I'm sorry, were we attempting to prove something?
If so, would you care to state it, and what you
believe the proof is?

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-06 20:04                     ` Frank J. Lhota
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2002-12-06 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Marin David Condic" <mcondic.auntie.spam@acm.org> wrote in message
> This really isn't the forum for political diatribes of any stripe. This
> thread ought to get back on target saying something about Ada and/or .NET.

I heartily agree, and I would add that if you wish to veer off-topic, please
be courteous and indicate in the subject line that this is an off-topic
post.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-07 15:43                       ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2002-12-07 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank J. Lhota <NOSPAM.lhota.adarose@verizon.net> wrote in message
> "Marin David Condic" <mcondic.auntie.spam@acm.org> wrote in message
> > This really isn't the forum for political diatribes of any stripe. This
> > thread ought to get back on target saying something about Ada and/or
.NET.

> I heartily agree, and I would add that if you wish to veer off-topic,
please
> be courteous and indicate in the subject line that this is an off-topic
> post.

The occasional drift off topic doesn't usually seem too bad. Someone goes
from Ada code for units to discussing mass and velocity and such and that's
not too much to worry about. Even the occasional political or social comment
along the way isn't much to worry about. (I agree it should be indicated in
the subject line as off topic once it diverges for any length.) Its just
that when the postings start to drift into areas that are completely
unrelated to Ada and the opinions being expressed might start becoming
offensive to a large segment of the audience, its just spoiling for a
flame-war. If we're going to have flame-wars, they at least ought to be
somehow related to Ada. :-)

@ 2002-12-17 10:00   ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2002-12-17 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ingo Marks <nospam_adv@region-nord.de> wrote in message news:<as4lvc$net$03

> Nice idea to name it A#. So it will be always on top of the list of the

A down side with the name is that it appears to be
'unsearchable' (my contribution to the ever-expanding
English language ;-) from Yahoo! et al...

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-17 13:57     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2002-12-17 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <af783afe.0212170200.1636c142@posting.google.com>, martin.dowie@btopenworld.com (Martin Dowie) writes:
> Ingo Marks <nospam_adv@region-nord.de> wrote in message news:<as4lvc$net$03
>
>> Nice idea to name it A#. So it will be always on top of the list of the
>
> A down side with the name is that it appears to be
> 'unsearchable' (my contribution to the ever-expanding
> English language ;-) from Yahoo! et al...

Presumably it is no less searcheable than C#, so Microsoft fans should
be accustomed to that limitation.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-17 19:46       ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2002-12-17 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kilgallen@SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen) wrote in message news:<AvMEsUuTeW9Q@eisner.encompasserve.org>...
> > A down side with the name is that it appears to be
> > 'unsearchable' (my contribution to the ever-expanding
> > English language ;-) from Yahoo! et al...
>
> Presumably it is no less searcheable than C#, so Microsoft fans should
> be accustomed to that limitation.

You'd be surprised... :-)

yahoo! will actually do a search for 'c' instead of 'c#' and there, at
item 39 in the 'web pages' list, is the first C# page. For 'A#' it
complains that 'a' is too common a word!

Even J# gets a good match at item 40.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-17 21:00         ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2002-12-17 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Dowie fed this fish to the penguins on Tuesday 17 December 2002
11:46 am:

> yahoo! will actually do a search for 'c' instead of 'c#' and there, at
> item 39 in the 'web pages' list, is the first C# page. For 'A#' it
> complains that 'a' is too common a word!

        Just tried Yahoo, using quoted string ("A#"). Item 1 is "A# Sharp - 24
track Professional Recording Studios", item 2 is ...

        We're too late, the A# name for a programming language has been
pre-empted!

2. A# from FOLDOC  - A#. <language> /A sharp ... source code. The A#
programming language has support for object-oriented and functional
programming styles. Both ...
http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?A%23  search within this
site

following the link:

A#

<language> /A sharp/ A separable component of Version 2 of the AXIOM*
computer algebra system. It provides a programming language with an
optimising compiler, an intermediate code interpreter, and a library of
data structures and mathematical abstractions. The compiler produces
stand-alone executable programs, object libraries in native operating
system formats, portable bytecode libraries, C and Lisp source code.

The A# programming language has support for object-oriented and
functional programming styles. Both types and functions are first class
values that can be manipulated with a range of flexible and composable
primitives and user programs. The A# language design places particular
emphasis on compilation for efficient machine code and portability.

Ports have been made to various 16, 32, and 64 bit architectures:
RS/6000, SPARC, DEC Alpha, i386, i286, Motorola 680x0, S 370; several
operating systems: Linux, AIX, SunOS, HP/UX, Next, Mach and other Unix
systems, OS/2, DOS, Microsoft Windows, VMS and CMS; C compilers: Xlc,
gcc, Sun, Borland, Metaware and MIPS C.

(1995-02-07)

 >   wlfraed@ix.netcom.com  | Wulfraed  Dennis Lee Bieber  KD6MOG <
 >      wulfraed@dm.net     |       Bestiaria Support Staff       <
 >        Bestiaria Home Page: http://www.beastie.dm.net/         <
 >            Home Page: http://www.dm.net/~wulfraed/             <

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-17 22:32           ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2002-12-17 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Dennis Lee Bieber" <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Martin Dowie fed this fish to the penguins on Tuesday 17 December 2002
>         Just tried Yahoo, using quoted string ("A#"). Item 1 is "A#
Sharp - 24
> track Professional Recording Studios", item 2 is ...

That's interesting...

yahoo.com supports "A#"
yahoo.co.uk doesn't...

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-21 17:32                 ` faust
From: faust @ 2002-12-21 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> ,  emitted these fragments:

>Perhaps rather ask the questions:
>
>   "Why do so many people hate America."
>   "What have America done to the world."

I suggest that you read Noam Chomsky, if you want some of the answers.

Come see,
real flowers
of this pain-filled world.

(from Basho)

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-21 17:40                   ` faust
From: faust @ 2002-12-21 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> ,  emitted these fragments:

>> Perhaps rather ask the questions:
>>    "Why do so many people hate America."
>>    "What have America done to the world."
>
>America has shown the world that it is possible to live in
>peace, freedom, prosperity, responsibility, and happiness.

With a million homeless in the US.

ROFL !

Come see,
real flowers
of this pain-filled world.

(from Basho)

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-22  1:40                     ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2002-12-22  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

faust wrote:
> With a million homeless in the US.

That's not bad for a nation of 280 million, assuming
that this figure is actually correct. Also, most of the
homeless are insane or hopelessly addicted, essentially
the very dregs of humanity. It is a tribute to the US
that their existence and wellbeing is even of concern.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-22  1:49                   ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2002-12-22  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

faust wrote:
> I suggest that you read Noam Chomsky, if you want some of the answers.

Noam Chomsky is the looniest of the loony left. People of his ilk
have absolutely no credibility left in the United States. Current
US politics is unabashedly centrist, whether on the left or right.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-22  3:52                     ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2002-12-22  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hyman Rosen wrote:

> Noam Chomsky is the looniest of the loony left. People of his ilk
> have absolutely no credibility left in the United States. Current
> US politics is unabashedly centrist, whether on the left or right.

How about we talk about programming languages instead of politics?

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-22  4:48                       ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2002-12-22  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

faust wrote:
> When the loony right are running your country

The people who are running the country are not the loony right,
they are center-right. People of the loony left try to demonize
them as loony right. As an example of how the loony right is
treated, consider Trent Lott.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-22  6:48                           ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2002-12-22  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

faust wrote:
> Wanting to bomb Iraq to increase electoral popularity is pretty
> center-right.

Such canards commonly come from the America-hating left.
Can I expect the US bashing to stop, and the French bashing to
begin now, since they are actually, not just potentially, at war
with Libya? I won't hold my breath.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-22 14:09 Alexandre E. Kopilovitch
From: Alexandre E. Kopilovitch @ 2002-12-22 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ed Falis <falis@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Hyman Rosen wrote:
>
> > Noam Chomsky is the looniest of the loony left. People of his ilk
> > have absolutely no credibility left in the United States. Current
> > US politics is unabashedly centrist, whether on the left or right.
> >

>How about we talk about programming languages instead of politics?

Well, passages about politics may sometimes indicate a person's responsibility,
and that may be helpful for estimation of his passages about programming languages.
Just in the case -- as for credibility for Noam Chomsky in the United States:

SCIENCE, Volume 298, Issue 5598,
dated November 22 2002, is now available at:

        http://www.sciencemag.org/content/vol298/issue5598/index.shtml?etoc

[skip]

LINGUISTICS: Noam's Ark
     Thomas Bever and Mario Montalbetti
     http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/298/5598/1565?etoc
     p. 1565

Review
--------------------

The Faculty of Language: What Is It, Who Has It, and How Did It Evolve?
     Marc D. Hauser, Noam Chomsky, and W. Tecumseh Fitch
     http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/298/5598/1569?etoc
     p. 1569

[skip]

Copyright (c) 2002 by the American Association for the Advancement of
Science.

Alexander Kopilovitch                      aek@vib.usr.pu.ru
Saint-Petersburg
Russia

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-22 22:51                     ` faust
From: faust @ 2002-12-22 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> ,  emitted these fragments:

>faust wrote:
>> I suggest that you read Noam Chomsky, if you want some of the answers.
>
>Noam Chomsky is the looniest of the loony left. People of his ilk
>have absolutely no credibility left in the United States.

Amazing.
When the loony right are running your country, as they currently are,
I would have thought that there would be some symmetry.

Come see,
real flowers
of this pain-filled world.

(from Basho)

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-23  1:33                         ` faust
From: faust @ 2002-12-23  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> ,  emitted these fragments:

>faust wrote:
>> When the loony right are running your country
>
>The people who are running the country are not the loony right,
>they are center-right.

Yeah whatever.

Wanting to bomb Iraq to increase electoral popularity is pretty
center-right.

In your dreams...

Come see,
real flowers
of this pain-filled world.

(from Basho)

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-23  3:53 ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2002-12-23  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alexandre E. Kopilovitch wrote:
> as for credibility for Noam Chomsky in the United States:
> SCIENCE, Volume 298, Issue 5598,
> LINGUISTICS: Noam's Ark
> The Faculty of Language:

Whether or not his linguistic theories are respected has little
to do with the respect his political views should receive. For
example, William Shockley, the inventor of the transistor, was
a notorious racist.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-23  4:36   ` SteveD
From: SteveD @ 2002-12-23  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Speaking of the new Ada compiler for .NET, can anyone relate any experiences
using the new compiler?

That is what this thread is all about isn't it?

After reading the announcement I went and read up on .NET.  For years I've
been amazed at how the programmer has had to do most of the work in managing
handles and objects under windows.  It looks like with .NET MS is finally
starting to let computers do some of the work.

Steve
(The Duck)

(Sorry to Hijack your off topic thread)

"Hyman Rosen" <hyrosen@mail.com> wrote in message
> Alexandre E. Kopilovitch wrote:
> > as for credibility for Noam Chomsky in the United States:
> > SCIENCE, Volume 298, Issue 5598,
> > LINGUISTICS: Noam's Ark
> > The Faculty of Language:
>
> Whether or not his linguistic theories are respected has little
> to do with the respect his political views should receive. For
> example, William Shockley, the inventor of the transistor, was
> a notorious racist.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-23  5:59                     ` Hillel Y. Sims
From: Hillel Y. Sims @ 2002-12-23  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> faust wrote:
> > I suggest that you read Noam Chomsky, if you want some of the answers.
>
> Noam Chomsky is the looniest of the loony left. People of his ilk
> have absolutely no credibility left in the United States. Current
> US politics is unabashedly centrist, whether on the left or right.

Absolutely. Any last dregs of potential for his communist philosophies died
along with the 3,000 killed on Sept. 11, 2001. What a scumbag he is. What
does any of this have to do with Ada? I love unmoderated newsgroups!

hys
- just passing through...

--
(c) 2002 Hillel Y. Sims
hsims AT factset.com

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-23  6:29                             ` faust
From: faust @ 2002-12-23  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> ,  emitted these fragments:

>faust wrote:
>> Wanting to bomb Iraq to increase electoral popularity is pretty
>> center-right.
>
>Such canards commonly come from the America-hating left.
>Can I expect the US bashing to stop, and the French bashing to
>begin now

They have been doing for a while.

See http://www.lecanardenchaine.info/

Come see,
real flowers
of this pain-filled world.

(from Basho)

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-23  7:39                     ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2002-12-23  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

faust wrote:
> With a million homeless in the US.

Four of whom viciously gang-raped a woman in Queens
(a borough of New York City). And who happen to be
illegal immigrants from Mexico.

<http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/ny-rape1222,0,6607614.story>

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-23 11:09                       ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-12-23 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

: faust wrote:
:> With a million homeless in the US.
:
: Four of whom viciously gang-raped a woman in Queens
: (a borough of New York City). And who happen to be
: illegal immigrants from Mexico.

So what, exactely?
Presuming that as a programmer, you have some knowledge of
numbers, do you have the percentage of homeless illegal
immigrants behaving as criminals in the USA?
How much does it differ from the percentage of criminal
offences by legal residents in the USA? (I'd guess it's
higher. It is, in Germany. But why?)

Is it of concern to you what it feels like to live in countries
south of the USA, and not being among the privileged, that is,
not being among very few? And it should be noted that the US
national interest, together with US company interest, is influential
in most of these regions, wrt being among the priviledged, ins't it.

So the statement above, picking just one aspect, is rather incomplete
in my view, and its presentation is not different from the usual
propaganda found around the world when it comes to minorities.

Gypsies are criminals. Blacks are more criminal that Whites.
This sounds so damn familiar.

-- Georg

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
@ 2002-12-23 14:39                         ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2002-12-23 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus wrote:
> So what, exactely?

The left would like everyone to believe that the homeless
are simply a bunch of down-on-their luck people, many of
whom are entire families with children, and who are in that
position through no fault of their own. Then the US can be
bludgeoned for "ignoring the plight of the homeless" as if
it was Scrooge depriving Tiny Tim of his turkey.

> do you have the percentage

Nope. I'm not a researcher in this area, and since the issue
is so heavily politicized, I'm sure it's difficult to find
unbiased sources. I found one link,
<http://www.la.utexas.edu/research/cccjr/research/bwribsum3.htm>
which has some statistics about public-order offenses in Austin,
Texas. One quearter of those arrested and two-thirds of repeat
offenders are homeless.

> Is it of concern to you what it feels like to live in countries
> south of the USA

Certainly. That's why I'm a supporter of NAFTA, and in favor of
maquiladoras and wider legal immigration. I'm also very much
against US farm and sugar subsidies, which prevent other countries
from being able to profit from their labors. And it would be nice
if the IMF and other international lenders would do something to
rein in the ruinous borrow-and-spend social policies which drive
countries like Argentina into bankruptcy.

* Re: New Ada compiler for .NET
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-01-04 18:43 ` Michael Erdmann
From: Michael Erdmann @ 2003-01-04 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Carlisle wrote:

> We have completed a port of the GNAT compiler to the .NET framework,
> which is based on the ACT tool JGNAT.  More information and downloads
> available from http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/a_sharp.html
>
> This tool will be presented at SIGAda 2002 in Houston, TX, USA, on 11
> December 2002.

Did you test the compiler also with the Mono plattform? This would
be intersting since it is available on Linux.

Michael