From: Jeffrey Creem <jeff@thecreems.com>
Subject: Re: hardware architectures to run Ada on in 2008
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 18:15:01 GMT
Date: 2008-02-22T18:15:01+00:00	[thread overview]

Yochi Choresh wrote:
> How weird does it sound,
> to intend to run GNAT compiled code on a PowerPC on top of some Linux
> kernelor L
> as the embedded system steering e.g. a drone?
>
> Or is this something, that the industry has been doing already for a
> couple of years?
>
> Y.

It does not sound weird at all. It is also (as far as I know) not a
configuration that is currently listed as having GNATPro support
available for it which is not to say that you could not get support if
you asked.

Various Linux kernels have gotten quite a bit better in the last few
years with respect to real-time performance. I would expect a more
typical configuration for the application you suggest would be vxWorks
or LynxOS running on a powerPC running GNAT code. If you open beyond
GNAT to other Ada compilers than things like Greenhills and a few others
would also become possibilities.