From: Stephen Leake <Stephen.A.Leake@nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: something I would like to see in ADA 2005
Date: 14 Apr 2003 11:40:35 -0400
Date: 2003-04-14T15:55:28+00:00	[thread overview]

tony_gair@yahoo.co.uk (Tony Gair) writes:

> I would like to see generic protected types in ada 2005.
>
> For example I have had to write seven , very similarly functioning
> protected types to perform the same database functions using the AVL
> trees of the booch components. They protected types save their data
> automatically but why on earth did I need to write seven (and debug !
> and maintain! eek).

Please post the code, and an example of how you would like it to work
instead.

Then we'll know what you mean by "generic protected types".

> I think protected types remove a lot problems and save writing tasks
> but in this case the task probably should have been used just to
> maintain the genericness ( or genericisity), but this would have
> been at the cost of the solid robustness provided by protected
> types.

That sounds like a good rationale.

> Are we too late to have our requests considered by whoever makes
> these decisions ?

Not too late. But you have to have an actual proposal, not just an
idea.

The proposal has to read like the Ada RM; give complete syntax,
legality rules, and semantics. Lots of work!

--
-- Stephe