From: Matthew Heaney <matthewjheaney@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Ada, open source software and Linux
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 20:37:30 GMT
Date: 2005-04-09T20:37:30+00:00	[thread overview]

gregg <greggNOSPAMarbage@NOSPAMfree.WANTEDfr> writes:

> > Ada 2005 (which will be finalized sometime this summer)
>
> Where did you get that news?

I think that's the target date to freeze the RM, but my knowledge is
limited to having attended a few ARG meetings last year.

Randy B. can give you more specific info about language standardization
milestones.

> I was wondering about Ada2005 myself (I'm new to the language, and was
> considering delaying my in-depth learning to start right on with
> Ada2005)

I wouldn't wait, since Ada 2005 is only a modest update of Ada 95.

> As for this "STL-likeness", can't it be considered as an API (just
> like Classes given out with Java, for instance).

Yes, I often refer to AI-302 as "the API."  The most recent draft is
here:

<http://www.ada-auth.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/AIs/AI-20302.TXT?rev=1.16>

There's an !examples section that follows the normative section (the API
proper), so I would read through that first to get an idea of what the
container library will do for you.  It might also help you learn the
language more quickly.