From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: ARG asks Ada Community for API Proposals.
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 17:20:24 -0500
Date: 2002-06-07T17:20:24-05:00	[thread overview]

Marin David Condic wrote in message ...
>Are you suggesting that the ARG in some way maintain an effort to
define
>what constitutes the "Standard Ada Libraries" - beyond what appears in
the
>annexes? I'd think that would be a fine idea provided that a) they were
>willing to take on that responsibility and b) came up with a process
that
>allowed for rapid turnaround on getting new features in. If the ARG
can't
>take on that work or can't update faster than a ten year revision
cycle,
>then they'd be the wrong organization to do the job. At one time there
was a
>branch of SIGAda that was willing to try, but couldn't come up with a
>standard component collection. If the ARG doesn't want to handle it,
maybe
>SIGAda should take another crack at it.

The whole idea here is to create some secondary standards (like the math
libraries were handled for Ada 83) that are not necessarily part of the
Ada Language Standard. That means that they are standardized and updated
on their own cycle, not necessarily with the core language.

The ARG is involved mainly because it has been tasked with deciding the
overall direction of Ada standardization, and particularly deciding what
goes into the Ada Reference Manual and what becomes a secondary
standard. Thus, it has to get proposals at an early stage in order to
make this decision.

           Randy Brukardt
           ARG Editor (back from vacation)