* [Anouncement] AdaCL 1.6.0 released
@ 2003-05-30  6:50 Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2003-05-30  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Version 1.6.0 now feature "in place" text filtering. That means that the in
and out file can be the same. A backup is preserved. In OS/2 the extended
attributes are preserved as well.

Because of this, filtering with wildcards is now convinient without Rexx
scripts.

The Sync execution of external commands has been improved. However Async and
InOut execution is still work to do.

A file utilities package has been added.

Trace has been improved as well.

An introduction Page has been added to the online documentation

Have fun

Martin

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: [Anouncement] AdaCL 1.6.0 released
@ 2003-05-31  5:13 ` Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
From: Warren W. Gay VE3WWG @ 2003-05-31  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik wrote:
> Version 1.6.0 now feature "in place" text filtering. That means that the in
> and out file can be the same. A backup is preserved. In OS/2 the extended
> attributes are preserved as well.
>
> Because of this, filtering with wildcards is now convinient without Rexx
> scripts.
>
> The Sync execution of external commands has been improved. However Async and
> InOut execution is still work to do.
>
> A file utilities package has been added.
>
> Trace has been improved as well.
>
> An introduction Page has been added to the online documentation
>
> Have fun
>
> Martin

Announcements like these are wonderful but they would be even more wonderful
if everyone making announcments would describe what it is! What is
this AdaCL? All I can tell from this announcement is that it has
"in place text filtering" and that some "file utilities package"
has been added. This could be just about anything, and so I still
don't know what it is or why I need it. 8-)

Please don't take this the wrong way.  Your contributions, as well as
everyone else's are greatly appreciated. Just please don't assume that the
reader is going to know what your product name represents.

This is just a pet peeve of mine from comp.linux.announce, so don't
take this post too seriously ;-)  I have cross posted this to that
newsgroup for that reason.

I see post after post announcing XYZZY 1.8 just "released", and the only
thing it mentions are the bugs fixed, and new features added. The rest
requires a mind reader or a thorough visit to the web site. Even at the
web site, many times I have been left wondering what the product is!

Expand on future notices, and keep up the good work.
--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg

* Re: [Anouncement] AdaCL 1.6.0 released
@ 2003-05-31  6:57   ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2003-05-31  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren W. Gay VE3WWG wrote:

> Martin Krischik wrote:

>> Version 1.6.0 now feature "in place" text filtering. That means that the
>> [...]

> Announcements like these are wonderful but they would be even more
> wonderful if everyone making announcments would describe what it is!

I take you point. However you are aware that this means that I have to
repeat the description with every new anouncement which becomes boring
after a while. But if it is ok by the mayority of the readers then I will
write a short description and add it to each new anouncement.

> Expand on future notices, and keep up the good work.

Shure

Martin

--

@ 2003-05-31 13:26     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-05-31 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik wrote:
> I take you point. However you are aware that this means that I have to
> repeat the description with every new anouncement which becomes boring
> after a while. But if it is ok by the mayority of the readers then I will
> write a short description and add it to each new anouncement.

If you present the changes first and then include a standard discription
of the application/library it is OK.

--
Preben Randhol                    http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/

* Re: [Anouncement] AdaCL 1.6.0 released
@ 2003-06-02  9:35       ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2003-06-02  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

:
: If you present the changes first and then include a standard discription
: of the application/library it is OK.

No, please!

 Foo is a <thing> that provides this, and that.

usually fits within a few lines, and is among the most important things
to know about <thing>. Elsewhere, this is called an abstract, or subtitle,
or whatever short introducion there is. Even if you know the story of
the prince of Denmark, you will still be glad to learn from an announcement
that they will play this one of Shakespeare's tonight. Imagine you would
first have to study cast and notes and times and then go to the library
to find out what the heck they will play tonight...

If you know <thing>, you will have no trouble skipping these very few
lines, but if you don't, you have to do a search, as Warren has explained,
and be it somewhere near the end of technical text about changes (to what?)
and so on.

A more striking example: If you need tomatoes and all they offer
in the shop is tins that announce their main contents burried
somewhere between the nutrition facts, this won't be helpful.

-- Georg

* Re: [Anouncement] AdaCL 1.6.0 released
@ 2003-06-02 16:44       ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-06-02 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> writes:

> Martin Krischik wrote:
> > I take you point. However you are aware that this means that I have to
> > repeat the description with every new anouncement which becomes boring
> > after a while. But if it is ok by the mayority of the readers then I will
> > write a short description and add it to each new anouncement.
>
> If you present the changes first and then include a standard discription
> of the application/library it is OK.

A web link is always useful, too.

In this particular case, I would recommend this description of AdaCL:
"an Ada Class Library, with several different useful classes".

Then, at least I know we are not talking about an implementation of
Common Lisp in Ada, which was my first guess :).

--
-- Stephe

* Re: [Anouncement] AdaCL 1.6.0 released
@ 2003-06-03 17:54         ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2003-06-03 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:

> Preben Randhol <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> writes:

>> Martin Krischik wrote:
>> > I take you point. However you are aware that this means that I have to
>> > repeat the description with every new anouncement which becomes boring
>> > after a while. But if it is ok by the mayority of the readers then I
>> > will write a short description and add it to each new anouncement.

>> If you present the changes first and then include a standard discription
>> of the application/library it is OK.

> A web link is always useful, too.

> In this particular case, I would recommend this description of AdaCL:
> "an Ada Class Library, with several different useful classes".

... for writing small tools.

> Then, at least I know we are not talking about an implementation of
> Common Lisp in Ada, which was my first guess :).

Ups. Actulay I started off with replacing sed (stream edit) because I could
not get the regular expresions to do what I want. Especialy when you need
to search for '/', '\' and spaces.

Oh, I know the threory of regular expressions and I use them on a regular
basis. Still I found the lacking and difficult for some work.

BTW: I have updated the homepage to minimize misunderstandings:

http://ada.krischik.com/

With Regards

Martin