From: Jon S Anthony <jsa@synquiry.com>
Subject: Re: Ada not wanted
Date: 1998/03/02
Date: 1998-03-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

"Jerry van Dijk" <jvandyk@ibm.net> writes:

> <<someone else wrote>>
> > We have been recruiting for some open positions here the last 2-3 months
> > and came across an interesting situation yesterday.  One of the
> > recruiters we work with said that it has been very hard for him to find
> > people for us because of our "Ada" requirement.
>
> I matches my own experience over here: the hardest part of getting an
> Ada project started is finding enough experienced Ada programmers.

Hmmmm.  From recent experience in trying to get good people, the
problem has not been one of finding Ada "ready" engineers or those
quite willing to come up to speed with it.  We have had quite a lot of
resume's from those with a high degree of Ada expertise.  The real
problem has been in satisfying some of the other requirements/desires.
The intersection of all these things has been the real issue, and I
would like to emphasize that the Ada aspect has been put forth as
simply a "plus".

Now, it is true that one of our recruiters said a similar thing to
what was stated above.  He said something to the effect that the Ada
bit deterred some otherwise interested parties.  I told him that if
that was an issue with these "otherwise interested parties", it would
be _higly_ unlikely that they would be any good anyway.  Anyone
thinking that the language used is somehow the most important part of
a project, is just plain a loser.

BTW, our project is a commercial desk top application...

/Jon

--
Jon Anthony
Synquiry Technologies, Ltd., Belmont, MA 02178, 617.484.3383