From: "David Botton" <David@Botton.com>
Subject: Re: Periodic screen update using GWindows/GNAT?
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 13:27:31 -0400
Date: 2002-05-24T13:27:31-04:00	[thread overview]

"Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com> wrote in message
news:uer6rdmi3ivk25@corp.supernews.com...
> Well, this is easy in Claw, because Claw is task safe. Just create a
> task to do the display update, give the task a copy of the window to
> write to, and write to the window as needed. The event loop is a
> separate task, so you don't need to worry about it, and it doesn't block
> the window updating. There is an example of doing that with Claw (look
> at Adtest).

Works the same way in GWindows for updates.

> I don't believe GWindows is task-safe. (I'm sure David will correct me
> if I'm wrong here...) That means that only a single task can write to
> the windows, so you can't use the tasking solution (at least not without
> standing on your head).

GWindows is Task Savy :-) As with Claw you can update/write to any window at
any time.

The only time tasking is more involved (for flexability reasons) is when
"creating" new controls in a window. There are examples of different methods
in the GWindows code for doing this in a manner that best fits your project.

David Botton