* Boeing 787 integer overflow
@ 2015-05-02 23:34 Robert Love
From: Robert Love @ 2015-05-02 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ars Tecnica has this article:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/01/boeing-787-dreamliners-contain-a-potentially-catastrophic-software-bug/

Can anyone comment on what language Boeing used for this?

If Ada, would a modular integer be more appropriate?  Is there an
exception handler for this integer?

* Re: Boeing 787 integer overflow
@ 2015-05-03 11:23 ` Maciej Sobczak
From: Maciej Sobczak @ 2015-05-03 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

W dniu niedziela, 3 maja 2015 01:34:59 UTC+2 użytkownik Robert Love napisał:

> Ars Tecnica has this article:
>
> http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/01/boeing-787-dreamliners-contain-a-potentially-catastrophic-software-bug/
>

> Can anyone comment on what language Boeing used for this?

It does not matter. The ability to run continuously for 8 months was most likely not in the requirements (planes have to be switched off for maintenance more frequently than that anyway), so there was no need to implement a solution for this. You can safely argue that the capacity of the counter allows proper operation within the given bounds and you could even have that tested with 100% coverage of the *required* data/time domain and (why not?) formally verified as well.

> If Ada, would a modular integer be more appropriate?

Why? Are you aware of the requirement that the counter has to automatically reset after (let's say) half a year? I guess not and even if you attempt to make it up as a derived requirement, it might be superfluous or even contradictory to other requirements.

> Is there an
> exception handler for this integer?

Why? Are there any requirements that explicitly state the plane has to work continuously for longer than 8 months?

Ada is not a solution to this problem, because this is really not a problem (unless shown at the level of requirements). The whole article is only an opportunity for journalists to write something exciting and then Boeing has to react somehow purely for PR reasons, even if, from the engineering perspective, they don't actually have to.

Of course, if it appears that this part of the system was indeed written in Ada, you can expect Ada skeptics to have a similar ride as with Ariane V.

--
Maciej Sobczak * http://www.inspirel.com

* Re: Boeing 787 integer overflow
@ 2015-05-03 15:27   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2015-05-03 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03.05.15 13:23, Maciej Sobczak wrote:
> Ada is not a solution to this problem, because this is really not a problem (unless shown at the level of requirements).

Nor is any programming language, I imagine: given any counting thing
of limited size in bits, counting will hit the limit.

* Re: Boeing 787 integer overflow
@ 2015-05-03 16:03   ` Peter Chapin
From: Peter Chapin @ 2015-05-03 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 3 May 2015, Maciej Sobczak wrote:

>> Can anyone comment on what language Boeing used for this?
>
> It does not matter. The ability to run continuously for 8 months was
> most likely not in the requirements (planes have to be switched off for
> maintenance more frequently than that anyway), so there was no need to
> implement a solution for this.

I guess it depends on if there is a *requirement* to reboot the system
periodically (less than 8 months) in the maintenance plan. The matter
should be handled somewhere and it seems like it wasn't. In other words it
was just "luck" that these systems have been getting restarted frequently
enough.

Planes obviously don't fly for 8 months straight and I'm sure they get
maintained, in general, more regularly than that as well. I don't know
precisely which system this issue is connected with, but it seems possible
to me that, in some cases at least, some systems would be left up and
running while others are being maintained. In other words a daily
maintenance schedule may not imply that the counter in question is getting
reset daily.

A software fix might be nice, such as increasing the counter to 64 bits to
push the overflow time out to something ridiculous, but just adding an
item to the maintenance checklist might also be sufficient.

Peter

* Re: Boeing 787 integer overflow
@ 2015-05-03 23:34     ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2015-05-03 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 3 May 2015 12:03:51 -0400, Peter Chapin <PChapin@vtc.vsc.edu>
declaimed the following:

>I guess it depends on if there is a *requirement* to reboot the system
>periodically (less than 8 months) in the maintenance plan. The matter
>should be handled somewhere and it seems like it wasn't. In other words it
>was just "luck" that these systems have been getting restarted frequently
>enough.

	Also depends upon just what "reboot" means in this environment... If
this is some sort of elapsed time counter, then it is something saved in
flash memory and will survive a normal power-cycle operation.

	"Reboot" in this case may mean erasing and reloading the operational
flight program, databases, and other stuff in "permanent" memory.

* Re: Boeing 787 integer overflow
@ 2015-05-03 23:49   ` robin.vowels
From: robin.vowels @ 2015-05-03 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 9:23:45 PM UTC+10, Maciej Sobczak wrote:
> W dniu niedziela, 3 maja 2015 01:34:59 UTC+2 użytkownik Robert Love napisał:
>
> > Ars Tecnica has this article:
> >
> > http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/01/boeing-787-dreamliners-contain-a-potentially-catastrophic-software-bug/
> >

> > Can anyone comment on what language Boeing used for this?
>
> It does not matter. The ability to run continuously for 8 months was most likely not in the requirements (planes have to be switched off for maintenance more frequently than that anyway), so there was no need to implement a solution for this. You can safely argue that the capacity of the counter allows proper operation within the given bounds and you could even have that tested with 100% coverage of the *required* data/time domain and (why not?) formally verified as well.
>
> > If Ada, would a modular integer be more appropriate?
>
> Why? Are you aware of the requirement that the counter has to automatically reset after (let's say) half a year? I guess not and even if you attempt to make it up as a derived requirement, it might be superfluous or even contradictory to other requirements.
>
> > Is there an
> > exception handler for this integer?
>
> Why? Are there any requirements that explicitly state the plane has to work continuously for longer than 8 months?

It won't be in the air for 6 months, but the software may be running
for that time, or the counter is running continuously.

* Re: Boeing 787 integer overflow
@ 2015-05-03 23:54     ` robin.vowels
From: robin.vowels @ 2015-05-03 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 2:03:55 AM UTC+10, Peter Chapin wrote:
> On Sun, 3 May 2015, Maciej Sobczak wrote:
>
> >> Can anyone comment on what language Boeing used for this?
> >
> > It does not matter. The ability to run continuously for 8 months was
> > most likely not in the requirements (planes have to be switched off for
> > maintenance more frequently than that anyway), so there was no need to
> > implement a solution for this.
>
> I guess it depends on if there is a *requirement* to reboot the system
> periodically (less than 8 months) in the maintenance plan. The matter
> should be handled somewhere and it seems like it wasn't. In other words it
> was just "luck" that these systems have been getting restarted frequently
> enough.
>
> Planes obviously don't fly for 8 months straight and I'm sure they get
> maintained, in general, more regularly than that as well. I don't know
> precisely which system this issue is connected with, but it seems possible
> to me that, in some cases at least, some systems would be left up and
> running while others are being maintained. In other words a daily
> maintenance schedule may not imply that the counter in question is getting
> reset daily.
>
> A software fix might be nice, such as increasing the counter to 64 bits to
> push the overflow time out to something ridiculous,

That isn't the solution.
The solution is to have an appropriate error handler.

> but just adding an
> item to the maintenance checklist might also be sufficient.

Things like that get overlooked.
Maybe not this year, but in 10 years, when everyone has forgotten about it.

* Re: Boeing 787 integer overflow
@ 2015-05-04  0:00       ` robin.vowels
From: robin.vowels @ 2015-05-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 9:34:59 AM UTC+10, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Sun, 3 May 2015 12:03:51 -0400, Peter Chapin <P.nospam@vtc.vsc.edu>
> declaimed the following:
>
> >I guess it depends on if there is a *requirement* to reboot the system
> >periodically (less than 8 months) in the maintenance plan. The matter
> >should be handled somewhere and it seems like it wasn't. In other words it
> >was just "luck" that these systems have been getting restarted frequently
> >enough.
> >
> 	Also depends upon just what "reboot" means in this environment... If
> this is some sort of elapsed time counter, then it is something saved in
> flash memory and will survive a normal power-cycle operation.

The article has pointed out that 248 days corresponds to 2**31 centiseconds,
which suggests that the integer is associated with a timer that
is running continuously.  Timers usually have a lithium battery
to keep them going, just as they do in the humble PC.

> 	"Reboot" in this case may mean erasing and reloading the operational
> flight program, databases, and other stuff in "permanent" memory.

Reboot of the humble PC doesn't usually change the timer's value.

* Re: Boeing 787 integer overflow
@ 2015-05-04  0:38       ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2015-05-04  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 05/03/2015 04:34 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Sun, 3 May 2015 12:03:51 -0400, Peter Chapin <PChapin@vtc.vsc.edu>
> declaimed the following:
>
>> I guess it depends on if there is a *requirement* to reboot the system
>> periodically (less than 8 months) in the maintenance plan. The matter
>> should be handled somewhere and it seems like it wasn't. In other words it
>> was just "luck" that these systems have been getting restarted frequently
>> enough.

Apparently there isn't, since the AD is to restart the GCUs more frequently.

> 	Also depends upon just what "reboot" means in this environment... If
> this is some sort of elapsed time counter, then it is something saved in
> flash memory and will survive a normal power-cycle operation.
>
> 	"Reboot" in this case may mean erasing and reloading the operational
> flight program, databases, and other stuff in "permanent" memory.

Since the Ad is to restart the GCUs more frequently, it doesn't appear to be
that complicated. It also says that the effect of the overflow is for the S/W to
go into a special mode, so it's clear the S/W detects the overflow somehow.

--
Jeff Carter
"My little plum, I am like Robin Hood. I take from

* Re: Boeing 787 integer overflow
@ 2015-05-04  1:55         ` robin.vowels
From: robin.vowels @ 2015-05-04  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 10:38:45 AM UTC+10, Jeffrey R. Carter wrote:
> On 05/03/2015 04:34 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> > On Sun, 3 May 2015 12:03:51 -0400, Peter Chapin <P.nospam@vtc.vsc.edu>
> > declaimed the following:
> >
> >> I guess it depends on if there is a *requirement* to reboot the system
> >> periodically (less than 8 months) in the maintenance plan. The matter
> >> should be handled somewhere and it seems like it wasn't. In other words it
> >> was just "luck" that these systems have been getting restarted frequently
> >> enough.
>
> Apparently there isn't, since the AD is to restart the GCUs more frequently.
>
> > 	Also depends upon just what "reboot" means in this environment... If
> > this is some sort of elapsed time counter, then it is something saved in
> > flash memory and will survive a normal power-cycle operation.
> >
> > 	"Reboot" in this case may mean erasing and reloading the operational
> > flight program, databases, and other stuff in "permanent" memory.
>
> Since the Ad is to restart the GCUs more frequently, it doesn't appear to be
> that complicated. It also says that the effect of the overflow is for the S/W to
> go into a special mode,

That's failsafe mode.

> so it's clear the S/W detects the overflow somehow.

Indeed, but the overflow handler was a general one for all overflows
in the software.
A specific one for that particular timer is clearly needed.

I can't imagine why they'd want to shut everything down
when there's clearly an error.  In a plane, you'd want to continue,
if possible, and obviously, this one is continuable.
In fact, it's essential that it continue.

Sounds like a repeat of the Ariadne failure, where they trapped
an interrupt and shut down (placing an error code on the data bus,
which data was then interpreted as a direction (attitude) change.

* Re: Boeing 787 integer overflow
@ 2015-05-04  8:28       ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2015-05-04  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04.05.15 01:54, robin.vowels@gmail.com wrote:
>> A software fix might be nice, such as increasing the counter to 64 bits to
>> >push the overflow time out to something ridiculous,
> That isn't the solution.
> The solution is to have an appropriate error handler.

If the variable has system-wide effects, I think error
handling would require a little more than a few lines of
code for overflow. Also provided that detecting overflow can
be made fast enough in the first place.

So, if the bit size could be increased without affecting
the system in other ways, this looks like a much cheaper
solution to me.

* Re: Boeing 787 integer overflow
@ 2015-05-04  8:45         ` robin.vowels
From: robin.vowels @ 2015-05-04  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 6:29:00 PM UTC+10, Georg Bauhaus wrote:
> On 04.05.15 01:54, r.nospam@gmail.com wrote:
> >> A software fix might be nice, such as increasing the counter to 64 bits to
> > That isn't the solution.
> > The solution is to have an appropriate error handler.
>
> If the variable has system-wide effects, I think error
> handling would require a little more than a few lines of
> code for overflow. Also provided that detecting overflow can
> be made fast enough in the first place.

Apparently there is already an error handler.
Detecting overflow is typically very fast.
On some systems, detection is automatic by hardware
while on others, an instruction is executed following the
relevant arithmetic operation, to raise an interrupt should
overflow occur.

> So, if the bit size could be increased without affecting
> the system in other ways, this looks like a much cheaper
> solution to me.

Might not be possible.  Dedicated processors have limits on
the size of a word, or size of the arithmetic register(s).

Merely using more bits in a register [even if permitted
by hardware] is not the solution.  It merely defers it.

The solution is to fix the software, by handling the interrupt
with a different error handler from the general one.
An alternative might be to initialize the timer automatically
before every take-off.

* Re: Boeing 787 integer overflow
@ 2015-05-04 11:26           ` G.B.
From: G.B. @ 2015-05-04 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04.05.15 10:45, robin.vowels@gmail.com wrote:

>>> The solution is to have an appropriate error handler.
>>
>> If the variable has system-wide effects, I think error
>> handling would require a little more than a few lines of
>> code for overflow. Also provided that detecting overflow can
>> be made fast enough in the first place.
>
> Apparently there is already an error handler.

It doesn't handle the error, if it is one, hence the report.

> Detecting overflow is typically very fast.

Is it fast? The GNAT UG explains overflow handling options
at length, and its default choice of not handling
all overflowing integer computations.

> On some systems,

For the system at hand, we'd have to know what overflow
handling means here, in terms of cost.

>> So, if the bit size could be increased without affecting
>> the system in other ways, this looks like a much cheaper
>> solution to me.
>
> Might not be possible.  Dedicated processors have limits on
> the size of a word, or size of the arithmetic register(s).

If this processor is not one with dedicated overflow
checking support, and efficient at that, then using
two words instead of one for the counting variable
might actually be faster than any overflow handlers.

> Merely using more bits in a register [even if permitted
> by hardware] is not the solution.  It merely defers it.

More bits (64 instead of 32) is a solution, since "deferred"
is then equivalent to "never", as Peter Chapin has explained
when using "ridiculous" for times far into the future, I think.

> The solution is to fix the software, by handling the interrupt
> with a different error handler from the general one.

That's a rephrasing of the original claim. But how to handle?

> An alternative might be to initialize the timer automatically
> before every take-off.

Might it? Is this a known possibility?

Generalizing: some counting variables should _never_ be
re-initialized without accounting: aging parameters would
be restored to "good" by an error in bureaucracy.

* Re: Boeing 787 integer overflow
@ 2015-05-04 12:17             ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2015-05-04 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 04 May 2015 13:26:50 +0200, G.B. wrote:

> On 04.05.15 10:45, robin.vowels@gmail.com wrote:

>> Detecting overflow is typically very fast.
>
> Is it fast?

It is not trivial to handle hardware counter's overflows, e.g. by extending
it, like 32->64, a lot of ugly issues with race conditions.

As a programmer I always suggest to scrap garbage hardware. Engineers
usually propose the opposite - to fix hardware by software means. That is
how people get hurt! (:-()

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Boeing 787 integer overflow
@ 2015-05-04 12:53               ` G.B.
From: G.B. @ 2015-05-04 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04.05.15 14:17, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> On Mon, 04 May 2015 13:26:50 +0200, G.B. wrote:
>
>> On 04.05.15 10:45, robin.vowels@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>> Detecting overflow is typically very fast.
>>
>> Is it fast?
>
> It is not trivial to handle hardware counter's overflows, e.g. by extending
> it, like 32->64, a lot of ugly issues with race conditions.

I thought so, in particular remembering your use of 64 bit FPT
words in non-sequential 32 bit programs? Yet, I think that one
cannot simply assess the complexity of handlers or simply
dismiss using components of larger (sums of) bit sizes
by invoking ceteris paribus.  That would be like assuming
the system to have FPT hardware, and also permission to use it.

Which is why it seems good if a language design does address
the handling of overflow and atomic operations, even if only
in basic ways.

> As a programmer I always suggest to scrap garbage hardware. Engineers
> usually propose the opposite - to fix hardware by software means. That is
> how people get hurt! (:-()

One more argument in favor of clarifying the word "system":
the result of human thought. Again, the problem turns out
to be one of goal directed organization of units of industry.

An error handler achieving that would quite good, wouldn't it?

* Re: Boeing 787 integer overflow
@ 2015-05-04 13:28         ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2015-05-04 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 04 May 2015 10:28:59 +0200, Georg Bauhaus
<bauhaus@futureapps.invalid> declaimed the following:

>On 04.05.15 01:54, robin.vowels@gmail.com wrote:
>>> A software fix might be nice, such as increasing the counter to 64 bits to
>> That isn't the solution.
>> The solution is to have an appropriate error handler.
>
>If the variable has system-wide effects, I think error
>handling would require a little more than a few lines of
>code for overflow. Also provided that detecting overflow can
>be made fast enough in the first place.
>
>So, if the bit size could be increased without affecting
>the system in other ways, this looks like a much cheaper
>solution to me.

	Hardware changes are unlikely...  Would probably entail a multiple
man-year effort to design and certify a new processor board, along with new
software on the board to handle the changes in the hardware...

	I wouldn't be overly surprised to find the actual flight operations
don't care about the roll-over... It could be something as simple as a
poorly written built-in test algorithm that gets run periodically (every 5
minutes say). Maybe a test for counter operation that relies upon "current
value > previous value"; which, upon finding a current value suddenly less
than the value the last time it ran, declares the unit faulty and shuts it
down.

	The stop-gap directive seems to be to perform an action that resets the
counter and the test values (since just restarting the software woud pick
up the values that had been in play).