* Ada 95 for DOS
@ 2002-05-22  9:56 Henrik Quintel
From: Henrik Quintel @ 2002-05-22  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I am looking for a pure DOS Ada compiler. At the moment I work with
GNAT 3.13p NT and with GNAT 3.10 for DOS. But both are 32-bit Compiler.
GNAT 3.10 depends on DJGPP. So it is a 32-Bit Compiler.

My problem is that I want to handle pointers to locate several positions
in a DOS-BOX under Windows ME. The two compilers, mentioned above fail.

Thanks in advance.

Yours Henrik

* Re: Ada 95 for DOS
@ 2002-05-22 15:51 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 2002-05-22 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Henrik Quintel" <henrik.quintel@gmx.de> writes:

> My problem is that I want to handle pointers to locate several positions
> in a DOS-BOX under Windows ME. The two compilers, mentioned above fail.

If I understand you correctly you want to access location in character video
memory in the DOS box. Using the NT compiler you can do something simular
using the Win32 API console functions (see the NT_CONSOLE package on my
homepage), using the DOS compiler you need to cooperate with DPMI (see the
DOS CONIO package on my homepage).

--
--  Jerry van Dijk   | email: jvandyk@attglobal.net
--  Leiden, Holland  | web:   users.ncrvnet.nl/gmvdijk

* Re: Ada 95 for DOS
@ 2002-05-22 18:47 ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2002-05-22 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Quintel wrote in message
<77864ec9f45765f2740ceac645451f33.86200@mygate.mailgate.org>...
>Hi,
>I am looking for a pure DOS Ada compiler. At the moment I work with
>GNAT 3.13p NT and with GNAT 3.10 for DOS. But both are 32-bit Compiler.
>GNAT 3.10 depends on DJGPP. So it is a 32-Bit Compiler.
>
>My problem is that I want to handle pointers to locate several
positions
>in a DOS-BOX under Windows ME. The two compilers, mentioned above fail.

Janus/Ada 95 is (still) available for MS-DOS. It also uses a DOS
extender (Ergo is included, Pharlap's extender also works if you can
find one somewhere).

There is a package for converting real-mode addresses to protected-mode
addresses you can use in your program, which would allow you to access
any memory in the lower 1 megabyte. (There is no way for a program to
access specific memory above the first megabyte without convincing the
operating system to give it to you, which takes you out of the realm of
DOS.)

    procedure Paragraph_to_Protected_Address (Para : in System.Word;
        Addr : out System.Address);
        -- Sets Addr to a protected mode address for the real mode
paragraph Para.
        -- The address can access at least 64K, unless it is at the top
        -- of the conventional memory area.
        -- Raises MEMORY_ERROR if an error occurs.

This routine uses facilities provided by the DOS Extender.

            Randy Brukardt
            R.R. Software, Inc.
            www.rrsoftware.com