* C++ binding
@ 2002-04-25 17:43 Dominique Devriese
From: Dominique Devriese @ 2002-04-25 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, i'm completely new to Ada, but i'm considering learning it...
What i would like to know however, is if it is possible to use C++ or
C libraries in Ada programs, since most of my programming work
requires using those library's.  Can anyone give me some pointers
on where to find information about this ?
domi

* Re: C++ binding
@ 2002-04-25 18:27 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2002-04-25 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

It is quite possible to connect to C and C++ code from an Ada program.
However, it isn't typically the kind of thing you want to start out doing as
your first learning experience with Ada. Be sure you get to know the basic
features of Ada first - especially about data types since you will need to
understand all about this in order to successfully get things moved back and
forth between the two environments. When you're ready, look at Annex B of
the Ada Reference Manual.

You will probably want to visit: http://www.adapower.com/ where you can find
a complete on-line version of the ARM, some on-line books and tutorials on
learning Ada and lots of code to use as examples or to incorporate within
your work. When you get stuck with some specific feature of the language,
feel free to post a question here. Most of us will make you feel welcome and
be willing to help. Please try to be as *specific* as you can with questions
as it will generally improve the overall quality of the answers you get. Be
sure to state the OS, hardware and compiler you are using since this can
impact the answers - especially if you are trying to connect to other
languages.

Good luck and enjoy!

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer

"Dominique Devriese" <fritmebufstek@pandora.be> wrote in message
> Hi, i'm completely new to Ada, but i'm considering learning it...
> What i would like to know however, is if it is possible to use C++ or
> C libraries in Ada programs, since most of my programming work
> requires using those library's.  Can anyone give me some pointers
> on where to find information about this ?
> domi

* Re: C++ binding
@ 2002-04-25 18:32 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2002-04-25 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dominique Devriese <fritmebufstek@pandora.be> writes:

> Hi, i'm completely new to Ada, but i'm considering learning it...
> What i would like to know however, is if it is possible to use C++ or
> C libraries in Ada programs, since most of my programming work
> requires using those library's.  Can anyone give me some pointers
> on where to find information about this ?
> domi

Yes it is possible. Ada has a special annexe for interfacing to other
languages. See Annexe B in the Ada Reference Manual. Look at the Interfaces.C,
Interfaces.C.Strings and Interfaces.C.Pointers pacakges. Note that Ada has
also interfaces API for Fortran and COBOL.

Pascal.

--|