* Evaluation of Ada-compilers and IDE:s
@ 2004-12-05 18:32 Per Sandberg
From: Per Sandberg @ 2004-12-05 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Dear all.
I am seraching for some evaluations of Ada-compilers and since i my
target is  Windows it
boils down to ObjectAda and GNAT.

Does anyone know if there exists such papers of recent date?

/Regards
/Per Sandberg

* Re: Evaluation of Ada-compilers and IDE:s
@ 2004-12-05 22:17 ` Jeff C r e e.m
From: Jeff C r e e.m @ 2004-12-05 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Per Sandberg" <per.sandberg@bredband.net> wrote in message
> Dear all.
> I am seraching for some evaluations of Ada-compilers and since i my target
> is  Windows it
> boils down to ObjectAda and GNAT.
>
> Does anyone know if there exists such papers of recent date?
>
> /Regards
> /Per Sandberg

I don't quite know what you mean by "papers of recent date". Are you asking
for articles that discuss/compare/contrast these choices or
are you looking for "papers" in the sense of certified/validation papers?

Also I think you have the right choices there but you could also look at IBM
Ada Developer (formerly Rational Apex)
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/developer/ada/base/index.html

Greenhills might also be a choice. They support Windows but I am not sure if
they support native development.

Finally another reasonable choice would be RRsoftware/Janus Ada

http://www.rrsoftware.com/html/prodinf/janus95/pds/j95-95.htm

Honestly based on their web site I don't think I would consider Janus Ada
but if you need GUI support then a RRSoftware Claw/GNAT combo would not be
bad.

* Re: Evaluation of Ada-compilers and IDE:s
@ 2004-12-06 15:06 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2004-12-06 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't know of any papers, but perhaps if you described what sort of
application you are creating others may have more input from their
practical experiences.

For example, I use GNAT extensively for Win32 GUI Desktop applications
and COM/DCOM programming including my development on a Delphi
alternative that is already (very) partially functional
http://www.gnavi.org

Others may be able to tell you more about their experiences, for
example I've had very positive experiences of using ObjectAda when
needing to debug code written in Visual C++ along side Ada since the
debug format used by ObjectAda is recognized by the debugger in Visual
Studio.

David Botton

       [not found] <41B35444.3040106@bredband.net>
@ 2004-12-11 19:59 ` Per Sandberg
From: Per Sandberg @ 2004-12-11 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: david, comp.lang.ada, jcreem

Thanks for your input,
But to make a long story short:

I am currently running GNAT and ObjectAda and got a personal view on
which one is the best to use in production, and was wondering if there
was anyone havinge other experiences.
I have been running the old Rational R1000 Ada machines (and that is
still the best Ada(83) environment in the world, the only problem is
that CPU-power and memory sucks) and from that iI have taken the
transision from to APEX under AIX (that environment was scraped in the
mid 90:s).
Currently I am running ObejctAda and GNAT and what I want to know is if
ther is any comparison of recent date between  Aonix ObjectAda and GNAT.
I think APEX is out of the question since Rational has sent out an end
of life warning on APEX (they maybe changed their mind but in my eys
their messege was clear and their website does not push for Ada).

@ 2004-12-11 23:56   ` Jeff C r e e.m
From: Jeff C r e e.m @ 2004-12-11 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Thanks for your input,
> But to make a long story short:
>
> I am currently running GNAT and ObjectAda and got a personal view on which
> one is the best to use in production, and was wondering if there was
> anyone havinge other experiences.
> I have been running the old Rational R1000 Ada machines (and that is still
> the best Ada(83) environment in the world, the only problem is that
> CPU-power and memory sucks) and from that iI have taken the transision
> from to APEX under AIX (that environment was scraped in the mid 90:s).
> Currently I am running ObejctAda and GNAT and what I want to know is if
> ther is any comparison of recent date between  Aonix ObjectAda and GNAT.
> I think APEX is out of the question since Rational has sent out an end of
> life warning on APEX (they maybe changed their mind but in my eys their
> messege was clear and their website does not push for Ada).
>
> /Per Sandberg

I have been hearing of rumors of EOL of Apex for years. While it is not as
actively
developed as GNAT or Greenhills it is still alive and recently ported to
Linux.

As for the website...Rational is IBM now... You can't figure out anything
from their website anymore but it it is only one
click down in www.rational.com (which is a redirect to
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/rational/)

Click on design and construction, Ada appears.

Even though I love the environment I would agree that I'd have a hard time
recommeding it over the two you suggested.

* Re: Evaluation of Ada-compilers and IDE:s
@ 2004-12-13 19:34     ` Arthur Schwarz
From: Arthur Schwarz @ 2004-12-13 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff C r e e.m wrote:

> I have been hearing of rumors of EOL of Apex for years. While it is not as
> actively
> developed as GNAT or Greenhills it is still alive and recently ported to
> Linux.

I would also add ICC (www.irvine.com).

art

* Re: Evaluation of Ada-compilers and IDE:s
@ 2004-12-13 19:58   ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2004-12-13 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Per Sandberg" <per.sandberg@bredband.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for your input,
> But to make a long story short:
>
> I am currently running GNAT and ObjectAda and got a personal view on
> which one is the best to use in production, and was wondering if there
> was anyone havinge other experiences.
> I have been running the old Rational R1000 Ada machines (and that is
> still the best Ada(83) environment in the world, the only problem is
> that CPU-power and memory sucks) and from that iI have taken the
> transision from to APEX under AIX (that environment was scraped in the
> mid 90:s).
> Currently I am running ObejctAda and GNAT and what I want to know is if
> ther is any comparison of recent date between  Aonix ObjectAda and GNAT.
> I think APEX is out of the question since Rational has sent out an end
> of life warning on APEX (they maybe changed their mind but in my eys
> their messege was clear and their website does not push for Ada).

I think the people at IBM (formerly Rational) that have been spearheading
the Ada 2005 work would be surprised to hear that.

As far as the website goes, IBM has so many software development products,
it's amazing that you can find anything on it. It's unrealistic to expect
them to highlight anything that doesn't fit in with the latest "hot" area
(seems to be web services these days). I don't think any company that has a
significant non-Ada business emphasizes Ada on their website -- which is
just common sense (appeal to 90% of the programmers, or to 10%??).

                     Randy.

* Re: Evaluation of Ada-compilers and IDE:s
@ 2004-12-13 20:49     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2004-12-13 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> significant non-Ada business emphasizes Ada on their website -- which is
> just common sense (appeal to 90% of the programmers, or to 10%??).

What about 100% by givin the 10% at least 10% of the Web space ? I know that
IBM has far less than 10% of Ada compared to everything else, yet does it have
Ada pushed at the right level ? It seems not, as shown by this message.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.org
--|