From: woodruff@tanana.llnl.gov (John Woodruff)
Subject: Re: Ada95 references needed.
Date: 1997/12/16
Date: 1997-12-16T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <rcu3cqa13r.fsf@gull.tact.cfmu.eurocontrol.be> Philippe
Waroquiers <philippe@gull.tact.cfmu.eurocontrol.be> writes in part:

    > So, we would like to find as many references as possible of * new
    > projects using Ada95 * projects that have converted from Ada83 to
    > Ada95 (even without using a lot of Ada95 features).

The National Ignition Facility (NIF) is a $1.2-billion laser facility
under construction at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) in
California. The new laser will be the latest in a series of high-power
laser facilities used for research in inertial confinement fusion.

A key component of the DOE's Stockpile Stewardship and Management
Program, the NIF will help maintain the U.S. stockpile without
underground nuclear explosives testing.  The NIF is the next scientific
step to evaluating inertial fusion energy as an environmentally
attractive energy source. NIF will provide insight into the origin of
our universe by creating conditions similar to those at the center of
the Sun and other stars.

When completed, the NIF will house 192 beamlines that run the length of
the facility and deliver 2 MegaJoule pulses of optical energy on a
fusion fuel capsule the size of a BB in a pulse 25 nanoseconds long.
The NIF will occupy a building that is 704 feet long, 403 feet wide, and
85 feet tall, about the size of a football stadium (NIF would just fit
inside the New Orleans Superdome).

The NIF Integrated Computer Control System integrates about 40,000
control points.  ICCS must be highly automated and robust, and must
operate continuously around the clock.  We are using object-oriented
modeling to specify our software, and Ada-95 to implement the
distributed control system.

The ICCS is being developed using an iterative approach. This technique
is effective for projects whose requirements are not fully known until
late in the project development. Five iterations are planned prior to
the first facility deployment of the ICCS software.

Risks to the control system software are managed through a modern
object-oriented software framework that is used to construct all
applications and that will be extensible and maintainable throughout the
project life cycle. This framework is reusable across multiple
applications (and indeed other projects) and offers interoperability
among computers and operating systems by leveraging a common object
request broker architecture (CORBA).

The software development project is described on the web at
http://lasers.llnl.gov/lasers/nif/ICCS/index.html

--
John Woodruff                                             N I F   \ ^ /
Lawrence Livermore National Lab                         =====---- < 0 >