* gperf (C2Ada) build problem...
@ 1998-06-15  0:00 Ronald Abdur-Raheem Ali
       [not found] ` <m3lnqxipvj.fsf@zaphod.enst.fr>
From: Ronald Abdur-Raheem Ali @ 1998-06-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

If someone can assist with this unique problem ...

I'm building the C2Ada translator from Inmet.com,
which requires that python and gperf be built first.
I'm running on a Sun - Sparc Enterprise 2, with SunOS 5.0, and
gnat  versions 3.05 and 3.10, which both reference gcc version 2.7.2.

The latest version of C2Ada calls for python version 1.3,
I built version 1.4 successfully.

When I build gperf with gnat 3.05, I get the following error message:
#--------------------------------------------------------------
gcc -DLO_CAL -DGATHER_STATISTICS -O -p -g -fstrength-reduce
-fomit-frame-pointer -fdelayed-branch -finline-functions  -c  getopt.c
getopt.c: In function `getopt':
getopt.c:189: argument `argv' doesn't match prototype
/opt/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.4/2.7.2/include/stdio.h:249:
prototype declaration
getopt.c:189: argument `optstring' doesn't match prototype
/opt/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.4/2.7.2/include/stdio.h:249:
prototype declaration
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `getopt.o'
Current working directory
/extdisk0/users/AliR/spc/c2ada/gperf/cperf-2.1a/src
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `gperf'
SunServer > AliR @ /extdisk0/users/AliR/spc/c2ada/gperf/cperf-2.1a #
244%
#--------------------------------------------------------------

AND,

When I build gperf with gnat 3.10, I get the following error message:
#--------------------------------------------------------------
gcc -DLO_CAL -DGATHER_STATISTICS -O -p -g -fstrength-reduce
-fomit-frame-pointer -fdelayed-branch -finline-functions -o gperf
options.o iterator.o main.o perfect.o keylist.o listnode.o xmalloc.o
hashtable.o boolarray.o readline.o stderr.o version.o getopt.o
ld: fatal: file mcrt1.o: cannot open file; errno=2
ld: fatal: File processing errors.  No output written to gperf
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `gperf'
Current working directory
/extdisk0/users/AliR/spc/c2ada/gperf/cperf-2.1a/src
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `gperf'
SunServer > AliR @ /extdisk0/users/AliR/spc/c2ada/gperf/cperf-2.1a #
251%
#--------------------------------------------------------------

The file "mcrt1.o" cannot be found on our system,
although "crt1.o" was found in the heirarchy of both versions of gnat.

Can someone suggest a fix for this situation?

RonAli@WriteMe.com
1-732-933-4070 x141
1-732-933-4088 Fax

* Re: gperf (C2Ada) build problem...
       [not found] ` <m3lnqxipvj.fsf@zaphod.enst.fr>
@ 1998-06-17  0:00 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 1998-06-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ronald Abdur-Raheem Ali <RonAli@WriteMe.com> writes:

> If someone can assist with this unique problem ...
>
> I'm building the C2Ada translator from Inmet.com,
> which requires that python and gperf be built first.
> I'm running on a Sun - Sparc Enterprise 2, with SunOS 5.0, and
> gnat  versions 3.05 and 3.10, which both reference gcc version 2.7.2.

I tried this on Windows NT; I got gperf and python to build, but not
the rest of C2Ada. It uses a non-Posix, non-gnu regexp package, which
may be available on Solaris.

There is a binary distribution of C2Ada for AIX on the OCSystems FTP
site ftp://ocsystems.com/pub/ (I haven't tried it yet; my AIX system
is currently down). While you are there, check out OCS man at
http://ocsystems.com/ -- best Ada graphic I've seen yet!

I got gperf to build with the Cygnus gcc distribution, although I had
to delete the -p (profiling) (and I boosted -O to -O3). From your
error messages, it appears that the Sun/Solaris stdio.h is not ANSI C
compliant; see if you can use the glib version instead (this seems to
be what GNAT 3.10 did). Or you can hack getopt.c to match the Solaris
headers; shouldn't be too hard.

I've no clue why GNAT is looking for mcrt1.o; try the gnat chat
mailing list (see instructions at http://www.gnat.com/).

<snip>

> RonAli@WriteMe.com

-- Stephe

@ 1998-06-17  0:00   ` Ronald Abdur-Raheem Ali
From: Ronald Abdur-Raheem Ali @ 1998-06-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Samuel Tardieu wrote:

> Ronald> The latest version of C2Ada calls for python version 1.3, I
> Ronald> built version 1.4 successfully.
>
> Well, you should build python 1.5.1, which is the latest release.
>
> Ronald> When I build gperf with gnat 3.10, I get the following error message:
>
> Use your local C compiler instead of the one that comes with GNAT, you
> must have a problem in your installation (it's likely that some
> environment variables are missing).
>
>   Sam
> --
> Samuel Tardieu -- sam@ada.eu.org

  Thanks for the suggestions.
I built version 1.5.1 of python with fewer config.log errors than previous
versions.
Unfortunately, changing from gcc to cc made No difference.

The problem still remains: "ld: fatal: file mcrt1.o: cannot open file; errno=2",

and the culprit file is in fact not resident on our system.

I'll keep treking, thanks again.

Ron