* creating temporary files
@ 2001-07-26 20:30 Rajat Datta
From: Rajat Datta @ 2001-07-26 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Trying to run aflex on FreeBSD 4.2 using GNAT, I am coming across the
following problem:  in two places the aflex code attempts to create a
temporary file using Create(Temp_File, OUT_FILE) which raises a
USE_ERROR exception.

Any workarounds besides changing the code to explicitly create a
temporary filename?

rajat

* Re: creating temporary files
@ 2001-07-26 20:53 ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2001-07-26 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

if the file already exists then you may have to "Open"
it rather it rather than "Create" it.

@ 2001-07-26 21:24 ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2001-07-26 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Since you didn't say what version of aflex you're using, or what version
of GNAT, it's hard to definitively answer the question.

The package GNAT.OS_Lib has a procedure Create_Temp_File which
will probably fill the bill.

I know not all versions of aflex that are out there are gnat-compatible,
but if memory serves me correctly, Pascal Obry ported a version which
is gnat-compatible.  Take a look at
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/archive/flexyacc.tar.gz

@ 2001-07-26 22:30   ` Rajat Datta
From: Rajat Datta @ 2001-07-26 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 16:24:50 -0500,
David C. Hoos <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> wrote:
>Since you didn't say what version of aflex you're using, or what version
>of GNAT, it's hard to definitively answer the question.

Sorry.

I'm using gnat-3.13p and aflex out of the link you suggested
(http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/archive/flexyacc.tar.gz), which
doesn't seem to have a version number, but has a file called CHANGES-1.4.

In the file main_body.adb, in procedure AFLEXINIT, around line 397,
the line
      CREATE(TEMP_ACTION_FILE, OUT_FILE);
causes a USE_ERROR exception to be raised.

I will try to rewrite the two places using temporary files with
Create_Temp_File as you suggested.  Thanks,

@ 2001-07-26 22:31   ` Rajat Datta
From: Rajat Datta @ 2001-07-26 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 21:53:27 +0100,
Martin Dowie <martin.m.dowie@no.spam.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>if the file already exists then you may have to "Open"
>it rather it rather than "Create" it.

No, it's a temp file.  I presume if Create() supports creating
temporary files if you specify an empty string as the name, it
will take care to avoid files that already exist.

@ 2001-07-27 17:28     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2001-07-27 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

rajat@austin.rr.com (Rajat Datta) writes:

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 16:24:50 -0500,
> David C. Hoos <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> wrote:
> >Since you didn't say what version of aflex you're using, or what version
> >of GNAT, it's hard to definitively answer the question.
>
> Sorry.
>
> I'm using gnat-3.13p and aflex out of the link you suggested
> (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/archive/flexyacc.tar.gz), which
> doesn't seem to have a version number, but has a file called CHANGES-1.4.
>
> In the file main_body.adb, in procedure AFLEXINIT, around line 397,
> the line
>       CREATE(TEMP_ACTION_FILE, OUT_FILE);
> causes a USE_ERROR exception to be raised.

Ok, this seems a GNAT/FreeBSD issue since I have been able to use flex/yacc
with GNAT under Windows.

Pascal.

--|