From: Stephen Leake <Stephe.Leake@nasa.gov>
Cc: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@acm.org>
Subject: Re: Ada serial Communication packages
Date: 22 May 2003 16:22:43 -0400
Date: 2003-05-22T20:38:31+00:00	[thread overview]

robin-hall@utvinternet.com (AdaNewbie) writes:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm keen to view an implementation of a sophisticated(timeout support
> etc) rs-232(Serial Comms) package,

My package does time outs.

http://www.toadmail.com/~ada_wizard/

See the "com ports" link.

> if availiable in the public domain.

As a newbie, one of the things you need to learn about is licensing
terms. "Public domain" is defined in the United States to mean "no
copyright owner". That means anyone can take it and claim it as their
own.

There are other licenses that allow you to use the software, but
retain control for the owner. One of the most common used with Ada
code is the GNAT Modified Gnu Public License (GMGPL). It allows you to
use the code in Open Source or proprietary projects. My com ports
package should be released under that license, but I wrote it before I
learned about this stuff myself :). I guess it's time to update it.

--
-- Stephe