* Language development
@ 2005-06-10  0:21 munnoch
From: munnoch @ 2005-06-10  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

This post was partly inspired by the ada2006 post a few doors down from this
one.  I was wondering, in a casual sense, what goes into the development of
a language, for example ADA?
I've tried searching the web (google), but most of my searches are drowned
out by general programming language information and nothing turns up of an
eye catching nature.
I was wondering if anyone could (and if so, provide) help in finding
anything that could help attain at least an overview of the process?

apologies beforehand if i have not checked what would be regarded as obvious
places to find such information.

* Re: Language development
@ 2005-06-10  2:08 ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2005-06-10  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 20:21:57 -0400, munnoch <munnoch@btinternet.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone could (and if so, provide) help in finding
> anything that could help attain at least an overview of the process?

You might find the following page interesting:
http://www.adacore.com/aa_lectures.php

- Ed

* Re: Language development
@ 2005-06-10  2:46 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2005-06-10  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

munnoch wrote:

> This post was partly inspired by the ada2006 post a few doors down from this
> one.  I was wondering, in a casual sense, what goes into the development of
> a language, for example ADA?
> I've tried searching the web (google), but most of my searches are drowned
> out by general programming language information and nothing turns up of an
> eye catching nature.
> I was wondering if anyone could (and if so, provide) help in finding
> anything that could help attain at least an overview of the process?

The Ada FAQ at adapower.com has an article (What is the history of Ada?)
that describes the process that resulted in Ada.

--
Jeff Carter
"We use a large, vibrating egg."

* Re: Language development
@ 2005-06-10 17:15 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2005-06-10 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

"munnoch" <munnoch@btinternet.com> writes:

> I was wondering if anyone could (and if so, provide) help in finding
> anything that could help attain at least an overview of the process?

Depending on the goal. If you want the language to succeed you have a
single focus : Marketing.

If you want a good-strong-robust language like Ada then it's quite
different. I'm sorry, I know this does not answer your question but I could
not resist :)

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|