From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Ada Dot Net ?
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 21:00:02 -0600
Date: 2002-04-01T21:00:02-06:00	[thread overview]

William J. Thomas wrote in message ...
>I've tried them all. I've crashed them all.

I very much doubt that you crashed the Claw Builder, and if you did, you
didn't report it to us. We've only had one bug report on the Builder
about a real crash (where the Builder exits and the project can't be
saved), and we've only had a few where the Builder refused to do
something. (Most of the reported bugs are cases where the resulting
program works differently from the behavior specified).

If you did crash the Claw Builder, we would have very much appreciated
sending in a bug report. Otherwise, the odds of a problem being
encountered and getting fixed is slim-to-none.

I can certainly imagine finding it too limited for your purposes, but
that's very different than crashing...

>I've cursed them all. I've
>deleted them all from my system shortly after they were installed. The
only
>things that has lasted, and not because it is any good, but because I
was
>forced to work with it was the GUI builder in Object Ada. And even that
tool
>you had to tippy toe around it, pay it compliments on a regular basis,
>create all of you visuals, stop using the GUI builder and they do the
rest
>by 'hand'. Thanks but no thanks.

I don't understand this remark at all. You have to build the logic part
of your program "by hand" -- how else can you write code?  If you expect
the GUI Builder to write your entire application, why in the world would
you care what the programming language is? Ada brings no benefits to a
GUI Builder; it's advantages exist only in the code that you write "by
hand".

As far as your original .NET question goes, we considered doing it. We
were contacted by a Microsoft rep who wanted to talk to us about it. I
wasn't in at the time, so someone got his number. I called him back many
times, but never got a response other than a short e-mail saying that he
was really busy and that he'd call back soon. So I never found out what
they wanted in order to do a .NET implementation, and thus we didn't
ever seriously think about doing one.

This has typically been the sort of response that we have gotten from
Microsoft. I think they really prefer to discourage "alternative"
development tools, and then once in a while, they try to get us to give
them some money. Kinda like sleeping with a gorilla.

              Randy.